1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Troubles reformatting my harddrive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by germy101, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

I am trying to refromat my harddrive, but i cannot acess the windows XP installation disc through DOS. I cant do this because one of my CD-Rom drives isnt working and that is the only one the BIOS recognizes and cant boot from. My other, working, drive is a CD-Rw drive and it doesnt not have an option to boot from in the bIOS. is there anyway that i can get this to work?

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

There should be an option in your bios to be able to change what cd drive it boots from. Take another look.....

If all else fails you could disconnect the ide/power connectors from the cd drive that's failing. Which should allow you to proceed with your xp installation.

let us know if this helps...

3. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

thanks but in the bIOS i went to the boot sequence thing and it said that there were no CD-Rom drives found. A little history about my computer. The DVD drive that is failing has failed because i accidentally flashed it the last time i installed windows XP. I stopped the flash and it didnt work afterwards. When i disconnet the IDE cable neither drive works
    :(

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    1) Your DVD will not be working again. Stopping a flash upgrade will fry the chips of the drive.

2) If your CD Drives are on the second IDE, take out the DVD drive (and start using it as a paperwieght because that's all it's good for) and make sure the CD-RW is set as Master on the second IDE.

If your IDE cable is not connected, the BIOS won't see it...

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

That's kinda odd that the bios does not detect the other cd drive. Have you checked your jumper settings on the drives. One should be set as master and the other slave. Are both drives on the same ide cable?

Does the drive still work in windows even if the drive isnt deteced in bios?

Question: If the drive doesnt work. why is it still in your pc?

6. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

yes it does show up in windows...what does a flash do anyways?
    also what are the jumper positions for master?

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Jumper Positions - different manufacturers have different ways. Usually there is a MA, SL and CS engraved next to the jumper. Also there should be a diagram on the drive.

Flash - the chips in the drive has information on it, kinda like RAM. A flash upgrade (also known as firmware) updates those chips. If any distruption happens to the chips, it will corrupt the chips, making the drive inoperable.

8. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

well how do i get the jumper positions?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Look at the drive...

10. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

will that affect anything else on my computer will i have to reinstall the drive? :confused:

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    no. it makes the BIOS see the drive and then you will be able to boot the Windows XP CD in it.

12. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

do i have to make the DVD drive the slave or can i just leave that disconneted?

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Take it out completely. There's nothing you can do to it.

14. germy101

germy101 Thread Starter

i did it thanks for the help!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!