1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Troubles with my second monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ltbubbas, Sep 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Alright, here's the story. I got a new HDMI adapter in the mail a while back, and I found a spare monitor in the closet. "Why not?" So, I grab the adapter, plug it in, and then plug both of my monitors' HDMIs into the adapter. This is when the problems start. Upon plugging in the second HDMI, both the first (which works with the adapter when the second cord isn't plugged in simultaneously) and the second monitors give me the "No Signal" message on their screens and go into power save mode. Then I decide to try the age-old fix-all solution: turning it off and back on again. So, I shut it down and back on again, and it works! For a minute. When I turn the damned thing back on, both monitors are displaying the boot-up load screen like usual, but after fifteen seconds of anticipation and impatience, then screen goes dark, and not like the "No Signal" kind of dark. Both of the monitors were clearly connected to the computer, since no messages were coming up on the screen, and both were showing a connection when I checked the input. What I'm interested in knowing is why my ***** of a PC can't take two monitors. Any replies to this would be great, and I thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi ltbubbas, and welcome to TSG.

The problem may lie with a hardware limitation or a hardware configuration problem. Other than seeing the ASUS and HP names on the monitor bezels in your photo, we have no information to go on about the other hardware and operating system involved. Please provide the manufactures names and full model numbers for the computer and/or motherboard, any video controller card plugged into the motherboard, the HDMI adapter, and the two monitors. Also, please tell us exactly what operating system you are running.

3. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Sure thing. The left monitor's an ASUS VG248QE 3D Monitor, and the right one's an HP 25es. My operating system's Windows 10, and the computer's an iBuyPower I-Series with one port on the graphics card, which is why I'm using the HDMI adapter. Thanks for responding!

4. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of clarification, I'm not really the techy type. All of the components in the thing are as they were when I got it from my local Best Buy. However, if necessary, I can take off the glass cover and take a closer look at the motherboard.

5. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    There may be no need for that. Is there a manufacturer's label on the computer with the exact model number? Was it something you purchased as a stock item or did Best Buy allow you to customize it in any way?

If there is no obvious name or model number on the HDMI adapter and you purchased it on-line, please provide a link to the website and product page that lists it.

6. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Alright, the computer's exact model (as far as I'm concerned) is "I-Series R133A652 030219", though this may be a serial code, in which case I may or may not delete this comment later. This PC is straight out of a Best Buy box with no customization. Just a walk-in, walk-out purchase. As for the adapter, it doesn't have any kind of model number of brand on it, but I do have a picture to cross-reference.

Attached Files:

7. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Do me a favor.....unplug the adapter and monitors from the system. Take a picture of the back of the PC, specifically the I/O area.

I want to confirm that you have display ports on your mobo and what type. I also want to confirm if you have an independent GPU installed.

Also send a picture of the HDMI adapter.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    If the adapter is just a cord with an HDMI plug on the other end, I suspect you have a simple passive signal splitter. If that is the case, your computer may be getting confused about what kind of display is connected to it. HDMI has two-way communications and two monitors may be trying to communicate with the video controller at the same time.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
  9. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Here's your pictures.

Attached Files:

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Great....thank you.

Since you left the monitor cable plugged in the GPU....how many display ports does have and what types?

So you mobo has 3 display ports. VGA, DVI and most importantly a HDMI. This is what I would do; plug in your primary monitor to the GPU, then plug in you secondary monitor in the the HDMI port on the mobo I/O. Then you can set up both monitors and extend them into one single display. It will work.

If your GPU has more then 1 display port, see what connection types your 2nd monitor has. If you have a cable that matches (DVI, VGA), then use that and connect 2nd monitor to GPU.

11. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

What is the model of the GPU you have?

12. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

On the side of it, it says "GEFORCE RTX", though that might not be specific enough. Just let me know, and I'll take a closer look.

13. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

LOL ... it's GTX. I need the manufacturer and make and model. We can use some software for this.
    I'm sorry it does say RTX.

Download HWiNFO64 or CPU-Z. Just do a google search for them. This is my old system using HWiNFO64.

info.PNG

14. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Sure thing, just give me a few minutes.

15. ltbubbas

ltbubbas Thread Starter

Alright, done. Here's the screenshot.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice