1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Troubleshooting a slow company LAN?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lc3, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lc3

Lc3 Thread Starter

At our company we have a LAN with about 15-20 computers (win xp/vista) mostly HP within 1-5 years old, a linux mail server, a win 2003 domain/file server with DNS and intranet HTTP. The network also has an ADSL wi-fi router with DHCP for the Wi-Fi (wired systems are on static IPs), another wi-fi access point, about 3 or 4 switches, about 10 IP phones and an asterik phone server. A few (not all) of the workstations are actually daisychained through the IP phone where there aren't enough network points available. We're using some network applications such as Sage Accounts, and Clik Service. The network infrastructure is heterogeneous, mosty netgear but I think there's some belkin and belkin devices. There's also a backup server, one networked printer, and a couple of shared printers hosted on workstations. The network has built up over the last decade or so and hasn't actually been designed, it just grew by itself. There's probably other things I've forgotten to mention too.

It may not be surprising, but our network is running quite slow (both using the Internet and LAN) and has been for a long time. Is there a way to track down the main sources of slowness without going to huge expenses such as hiring a network consultant?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

2. avisitor

avisitor

What specifically is slow? How fast is your internet supposed to be? What LAN actions are slow?

You don't have any loops in your switches, do you?

3. srhoades

srhoades

The first thing I would do before even looking at the hardware is to make sure no one is using any files sharing apps. Internet radio is also a drag on networks.

4. Lc3

Lc3 Thread Starter

The internet connection is supposed to be 6meg and speedtests show sometimes we actually do get near that (about 5.5 meg), other times it can drop to 0.5 meg.

I found one loop a few months back where the router was connected back to itself so I took that out, I'm 95% confident within that tangle of wires theres no more loops.

Users complain about general slowness, I can't really say what's slow. I hear Sage is much slower than it should be and logging on to windows takes a while even though we don't have roaming profles (which could be expected to be slow if we had), so is transfering files. Also I find loading internal pages from the web server is slow too. The Wi-Fi is also painfully show when browsing.

How do I find out what type of data is flowing through the network? I looked into WireShark, but had no clue how to use it.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step here would be to create an accurate network diagram of what you have, including exact make/model of switches, routers, and other network hardware.

Next is to quantify exactly the performance issues you have, and where they occur. Are they Internet related? Local network transfers? Wireless speed?

Once you know what you have and how it's all interconnected, you can start to address the performance issues. You need to know what you currently have, and what issues you're trying to solve before you can intelligently start to solve them.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice