Troubleshooting Internet Instability

ScienceAndStage

I've got a issue with what I believe is instability with my internet connection. In phone and video calls on various platforms (facebook messenger, discord, and zoom) my ability to hear others/be heard by others will stop for about 5-10 seconds (note that I never have mutliple calls occuring at the same time). Not sure exactly how often it happens but it's at least several times within an hour. I've tried various troubleshooters and driver updates with no success. I got a new modem and router relatively recently which did not resolve the issue. I've also experienced issues with bluetooth connection stability so I wonder whether it's a hardware issue with my network adapter. But I recognize that it could be an issue with my ISP or something else. Do you have any ideas what tests I should try to figure out how to isolate the issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

System info:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210310225028.000000-300
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5700HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 71 Stepping 1, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M
Hard Drives: C: 558 GB (294 GB Free); D: 352 GB (352 GB Free);
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1793, ver REV:0.B, s/n BSS-0123456789
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver MSI_NB - 1072009, s/n 9S7179323044ZF8000211
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Antimalware, Enabled and Updated

Last edited:
First thing to blame is lack of bandwidth. You need a six lane highway, not two lane, when you have multiple video chats going. Talk to your internet service provider.

ScienceAndStage

First thing to blame is lack of bandwidth. You need a six lane highway, not two lane, when you have multiple video chats going. Talk to your internet service provider.
Do you have any recommendations to figure out whether it is a bandwidth issue or something else?

It depends on your local market. Different cities have different service packages from different vendors. Just shop around and ask for bandwidth.

ScienceAndStage

It depends on your local market. Different cities have different service packages from different vendors. Just shop around and ask for bandwidth.
Thanks for your advice! I guess my concern is that I'll spend more money to get more bandwidth but it will actually be an issue with my drivers or something. I'm hoping to be able to confirm that it isn't another problem before spending money if I actually don't need it.

Well, if you multitask those video calls you will need more bandwidth. Unless you shy away from that and restructure your work.

ScienceAndStage

Well, if you multitask those video calls you will need more bandwidth. Unless you shy away from that and restructure your work.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. My facebook messenger, discord, and zoom calls never occur at the same time. I use different platforms to talk to different people at different times, and I wanted to clarify that the problem doesn't occur in just one software platform. I generally only have one call and Google Chrome open and running at the same time. I'll edit my original post to make that clearer.

Couriant

James
Who is your internet provider and what speeds are you getting/paying for?

I saw that you are not running multiple streams / video conferences simultaneously. You don't mention if you are sharing your Internet service with other members of the house/apartment at the same time? And what is your current Internet service supposed to be?

ScienceAndStage

I believe my internet plan includes up to 30 Mbps download and up to 5 Mbps upload.

I do share my internet service with other people in the house, but I've had this issue occur when no one else is home.

I just ran a few speed tests and got varying results:
1621304813549.png
1621305003693.png
1621305099342.png
1621305295237.png

The sharing of the connection could be a cause of the lag, but you say the issue happens when no one else is using the service. Do any of the other people leave their systems on when not there, perhaps doing some download or upload, or backing up data to a cloud service? It might be something to check into. And 30 Mbps down / 5 Mbps up is not a lot of bandwidth to share among several people.

As for the speed tests showing varying results, it could be from different clients. I would say choose one client, and run several tests. Do a few tests at different times of the day, and perhaps a set of tests when no one else is believed to be using the network. If your results continue to be all over the place, then you might want to have the ISP check the connection. The results shouldn't vary widely from test to test. A little yes, but not large differences.

Couriant

James
If you are paying for 30Mbps, you would have been capped at that... so the last two doesn't make sense. and the first two would indicate that you are not getting the full speeds either due to the ISP or something on your network is using the data. I assume you are using cable?

Does your internet provider have any tools to see the state of your line (i.e. signal strength, SNR, etc) or the current usage on the line? If so, see if they can spot anything like that to see if there is already data being used, like @KhunDoug mentioned there may be another device that may be running something in the background.

What modem and router (if applicable) do you have?

plodr

Liz
Please post brand and model of modem and router.
My ISP is Comcast and my speed is up to 100Mbps down and 5Mbps up.
I don't get near that because I am happily using a very old router. I get around 36 Mbps.
I just tested download and it is 43. I can't ever get the upload to work, on any of the tests I try. It shoots up an error.

My husband and I are 2 senior citizens and that speed is fine for us. We don't do online gaming, don't stream videos (I had Acorn tv for awhile but I used an android tablet which works faster than my Windows computer) and we each have Zoom meetings. Again we use a 10" tablet for the Zoom meetings and neither of us had a problem with the 3 different groups we have had to Zoom.

ScienceAndStage

I just confirmed that the issue continues to occur when no one else is using their computers. I do not believe anyone is downloading or backing up their data while they are away.

I just ran some speed tests using speedtest.net. If I set the connections to "multi" I get speeds above 100 Mbps similar to the last two photos I posted. If I set connections to "single" I get speeds between 20-30 Mbps like the first two photos I posted. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two modes.

My modem is a Hitron CODA-4582U.
My router is a Asus RT-AC66U B1.

How would I go about seeing the state or current usage? I found a page showing the wireless clients, is there something I should be looking for on that page to tell me whether it's causing the problem?

Couriant

James
How would I go about seeing the state or current usage? I found a page showing the wireless clients, is there something I should be looking for on that page to tell me whether it's causing the problem?

That would be something the internet provider may have. I used to work for a provider that had such a tool so we can troubleshoot the network.

Is the computer near the modem, and if so, can it be connected directly to the modem for troubleshooting?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online