Troubleshooting Internet Instability

ScienceAndStage

Are you talking about something like this?1621380033351.png

I can connect directly to the modem. However, I think I asked my ISP to set the modem to bridge mode. Would that mean plugging directly into the modem wouldn't work, and I'd actually want to plug directly into the router instead?

Couriant

James
What that did was bypassing the modems router and going direct to yours. You should be able to connect to the modem yourself. I would suggest turning off the modem for about 10 minutes then connect your laptop to it and then turn on the modem. That should give your computer an IP address from the internet provider and give you access. If you find this connection is stable then we would want to look at your asus router and other devices.

My modem is a Hitron CODA-4582U.
My router is a Asus RT-AC66U B1.
I'm sure this was already checked or looked at, but the Hitron CODA-4582U has its own WI-Fi. If the plan is to use the Asus RT-AC66U for the wireless, are you sure there is no Wi-Fi usage going direct to the Hitron modem, and bypassing the Asus?

ScienceAndStage

I'm sure this was already checked or looked at, but the Hitron CODA-4582U has its own WI-Fi. If the plan is to use the Asus RT-AC66U for the wireless, are you sure there is no Wi-Fi usage going direct to the Hitron modem, and bypassing the Asus?
When I first got the modem and router I called my ISP and requested they put the modem in bridge mode. I believe this should have disabled the modems wifi capabilities so all our devices would have to connect through the router.

ScienceAndStage

What that did was bypassing the modems router and going direct to yours. You should be able to connect to the modem yourself. I would suggest turning off the modem for about 10 minutes then connect your laptop to it and then turn on the modem. That should give your computer an IP address from the internet provider and give you access. If you find this connection is stable then we would want to look at your asus router and other devices.
Working on doing this test. I just attempted a set up with my tablet and laptop in a zoom call to try to reproduce the error and then testing to see if a direct ethernet connection resolves the issue on at least my laptop's side but I couldn't reproduce the problem definitively. I'm hoping to ask a friend to help me out tomorrow and see if I can figure out if the ethernet connection is stable or not.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

ScienceAndStage

Just spent a few hours in a video call using an ethernet cable directly connected to my modem. I experienced no issues with audio cutting out. I believe this means my internet connection from my ISP is stable. What is the next step I should take?

Couriant

James
OK, so if this is the same computer that had the issues previously, then it looks like the router may be causing the issue.

I would recommend resetting the router to defaults and then try again when connected to the router. You will need to reconfigure if you are not using the defaults from the router.

I would reconnect the router but try changing the wireless security code. If possible, bring the people in the house back onto the wireless, one at a time. Be alert for problems and you might find that one particular PC is causing the problem. Alternatively, learn how to use the tools in the router to look at traffic and active connections. If the problem returns you may have something that is chewing up bandwidth and the person doesn't even know it.

I got something for you to try, semi-related. Open YouTube and watch a video, and at the same time try screen sharing. See what happens.

ScienceAndStage

Earlier today 3 people total (2 others plus me) were in a video call at the same time. The other two people used the wifi, I used an ethernet cable. None of us experienced issues with call quality or drop outs. I think that means it's safe to say this isn't a bandwidth issue. I also think that likely means the issue is not with the router since other people connected to the same router did not experience issues.

Even so, I hard factory reset the router (after the video calls) and changed no settings other than the network name and password. I'll let you know if I continue experiencing issues.

ScienceAndStage

Update: Still having internet issues after resetting my router. Any ideas on what I should try next?

OK try using the 5 Ghz band. It should involve setting up a separate SSID. The 5 Ghz band is a lot less crowded.

ScienceAndStage

I have 2 bands set up and going at the same time, a 2.4 Ghz and a 5 Ghz. My computer is connected to the 5 Ghz band and has been since I got the router last year.

If I read your description clearly, your laptop/PC is the only one experiencing the lags and audio drops, and only when using the wireless. Is that correct?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online