Troubleshooting Internet Instability

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
I believe the thing to do is look at the network stack on the laptop. The first things I would try requires a CMD window with administrator privilege. Use these commands:

netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int tcp reset

I would also use the Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi, Manage known networks to list the known wireless networks, and use the Forget option to remove the wireless SSID's you are having trouble with. This requires them to be added again.

From the length of the thread it is not easy to learn if MSI has any type of network accelerator or packet prioritizing software installed. Usually these things are supposed to improve network access when gaming. But in my experience, they can easily hose up things that would otherwise operate fine. If you have something like that installed, disable or uninstall it.

ScienceAndStage

I executed both CMD commands and then reset my computer. I'll let you know if that resolves the problem.

I forgot the wireless SSIDs when I hard factory reset my router, but it didn't resolve the issue.

I was looking that MSI software and discovered I have Dragon Gaming Center and the Killer Network Manager which I believe might be the software you are talking about. I just uninstalled Dragon Gaming Center. I was reading that I should uninstall Killer Performance Suite and install Killer Control Center instead, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that. I can't seem to find it in the Microsoft store, and the links I've seen in a couple threads doesn't allow downloading, only viewing information. Any chance you know whether that might resolve my problem and is worth the effort to figure out how to do?

I found a site that details Killer Network Manager. In the description it specifically mentions bandwidth control. I would remove that package. Here is a link to the information I found: https://bigfoot-networks-killer-network-manager.en.lo4d.com/windows

Until you have the audio drops resolved, I would avoid all of that software that manages packets and that purport to improve network performance. Those tools could very well be the source of your problem. I also found an Intel page for Killer Control Center. As I wrote, I would avoid it for the time being. You can always add it later. The link I found is here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/wireless/killer-series.html

ScienceAndStage

I uninstalled Killer Network Manager. It took me a little while to be sure after that, but at this point I still believe I am experiencing internet stability problems. I know I've tried a lot already to try to troubleshoot this, but any chance someone here has another idea of what might be the issue?

Here is a suggestion on another way to test the laptop hardware to make sure it is not something specific to your installation of Windows. I would make a bootable Windows on a USB drive. Yes, I know the disk IO will not be as good as if you were running off a SATA or NVMe disk. But for testing purposes, you can run off the test disk, install the laptop tools and your apps that you need to test Discord and whatever else is used for video conferencing. See if you still experience the wireless drops using that special build of Windows. If you do, then you likely have a hardware issue. If not, then you have something janky in the OS normally booted for the laptop. You will likely need to make an adjustment in BIOS so that you can boot from the USB disk.

ScienceAndStage

I think I get what you're recommending, and it makes a lot of sense.

I found this video, please let me know if this is what you're talking about:

Am I correct in understanding that I want to run Windows off a USB? And am I correct in thinking that is different than putting a Windows installer on a USB since that will try to overwrite my original OS?

Can you also confirm that following the steps in that video is temporary, meaning if I restart my computer without the USB and reset the BIOS setting everything will go back to normal? Thanks so so so much for your help!

You are correct. You would want to run Windows off the USB drive, but NOT create bootable installation media and install / overwrite the existing C: partition. The goal here is to create an untouched version of Windows 10 with the proper drivers, and determine if your stutter/drop problems continue. The beauty of this is that once you unplug the USB, the laptop goes back to what it was.

You will need either a large enough USB flash drive, or a USB external HDD/SSD. The external HDD/SSD should be larger capacity that what you will readily find on a flash drive. And the external HDD/SSD is likely to have faster write speeds than a flash drive, depending on the specs of the flash drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online