1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Troubleshooting network router issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by shockeymoe, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shockeymoe

shockeymoe Thread Starter

I have a D-Link DI-624 router that is acting up. I have 2 computers connected by ethernet cable and a laptop that I connect via wireless. The router occasionally reboots itself, causing all connectivity to cease. It also will occasionally just drop the wireless connection and then reconnect after a few minutes. I read on a another forum that this issue might actually be caused by my ADSL connection somehow. I find that hard to believe but I have done everything I can think of (firmware upgrade) on the router and it still acts up.
    Is there a good way to determine that the phone connection is not the issue?
    Thanks for any thoughtful replies.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Wireless interference or the router is getting flaky. You could try with the wireless signal disabled and maybe eliminate interference as the cause.

3. UNIKSERV

UNIKSERV

To test if it's your phone line you can remove the router for a few days and just connect your computer straight to the DSL modem. If your connection doesn't drop then your router is flaky. Another possibility is to use the router on another DSL connection to see if it does the same thing there. The few times I've seen something like this it had to do with either overheating or the keepalive setting on the router. Setting it to dial on demand would disconnect the connection after a period of use then attempt to connect when necessary but it hasn't worked properly in the SOHO routers I've seen so I always put the router on keepalive.

Joe

4. shockeymoe

shockeymoe Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll try both suggestions and see if it makes a difference.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice