1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

troubleshooting network slowdown

Discussion in 'Networking' started by carolsm, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carolsm

carolsm Thread Starter

I have three computers on a peer-to-peer network. The primary one is Win98, the other two are Win98SE. They are connected by 10-100 Ethernet, wired. My main company program is a DOS program on the primary computer. The other two computers have recently slowed down MASSIVELY when trying to open and use the DOS program from the primary computer, to the point that the program is unuseable because of the wait time for something to happen. I can't think of anything I did to any of the computers before this happened.

Is there some troubleshooting method for networks buried in Win98? Any ideas what I could look for that might cause this?

2. kimmer13

kimmer13

are they connected thru a hub, or ?? you could restart the hub. you could also watch the hub's led lights while one of the 98se machines is trying to open the DOS program and see if the 10 or the 100 indicator light is flickering. if it used to be talking at 100 and now is at 10, you'd notice the kind of delay you're talking about.

did the slowdown progress to this point, or did you just come in one day it was like this?

3. LapeerTech

LapeerTech

Are these computers accessing the Internet? Had a similar problem when someone became infected. Do you run anti-spyware/virus protection programs regularly?

Could even happen if they are not accessing the Internet by someone bringing in an infected disk.

Do they have static or dynamic IP's? Check the network names of each?
    Good Luck,
    Tony

4. carolsm

carolsm Thread Starter

They are connected through a hub. I have unplugged it (depriving computers of their electricity seems to solve a lot of problems!), but that made no difference. When I look at it, the 100 light is the one that is on. I think it just happened, wasn't gradual.

The "primary" one is the only one that goes on the internet, and all are equipped with Norton Anti-Virus and ZoneAlarm; I haven't done a virus scan lately, though---will try that.

Don't know about static or dynamic IP--I let the computer figure that out when the network was set up. The workgroup name is the same for all three.

5. LapeerTech

LapeerTech

You should also get an antiSpyware program like AdAware or Spybot and run it.
    Good Luck,
    Tony

6. 10forcash

10forcash

If it is a DOS programme, does it use IPX/SPX ? if so, a mixed TCP/IP IPX/SPX enviromment can cause slowdowns, as can a poorly NIC, you could also try migrating to a switch, a damaged cable can also cause slowdowns, try pinging the other PC's occasionally , checking for time differences, also check the computer time on all PC's is the same
    Cheers,
    10forcash

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice