1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Troubleshooting XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DevgruSeal, Feb 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevgruSeal

DevgruSeal Thread Starter

I'm helping a friend repair his PC, but I've tried pretty much all I can think of.

So far I've ran CHKDSK /R /P, the results of which were no errors...

His description is that it runs a CHKDSK, then tries to boot, but never does. Same goes for Safe Mode, Run Last Good Config. It just freezes on spot.

It's almost as if it is stuck performing CHKDSK, but never actually completing it. (Aside from the Recovery Console) It completes it, but leaves me at the end message: "Windows has made corrections to the file system."

"Various data storage numbers ...

And a single period at the very end, and that's where it freezes.

He doesn't want me deleting any data on his hard-drive either.

Any further suggestions I can try?

Oh, I've also tried testing the memory modules, tested to see if it had sufficient power (Removed the CD ROM power, etc), all checked out fine.

I was actually considering taking a backup of his entire disk, formatting in NTFS, installing XP again, and transferring any remaining data needed back. I don't have his reinstallation disk, but I do have his serial key. I was wondering if I can use the CD I used for my own XP Home installation, except using his serial key (Since it's located on the case.)

If that's at all possible, please let me know what steps I should take. Or, even, I could do a 'Repair Install'?

2. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle

I would take the hard drive out and put in another computer. Run virus scan on it first and then back it up the data they want to save. When things get so screwed up the best thing to do is reinstall.
    You can use a different XP disk to install, but you will have to call MS to reactivate it.
    The hardest lesson to teach someone is to back up their stuff. I never put anything on my main OS drive that I want to keep. In fact I keep all my important stuff on a portable hard drive. I have almost have all friends doing the same thing.

3. DevgruSeal

DevgruSeal Thread Starter

And MS won't refer me to contact Dell regarding this? x.x Last thing I want to do is go in an endless tech support calling spree/loop

4. sunnyeagle

sunnyeagle

I have bought an OEM XP sp2 disk to do most of the reinstall because I didn't want to waste time updating or make a slipstream disk. I call MS and tell them what I"m doing and go through the same old story. Give the old code off computer, to let them know that it has been paid for.
    Of course they try to give you a hard time and tell you only one copy on one computer. And I explain it to them again.
    In the long run they give you a new unlock code.

5. Papermoon

Papermoon

If your working on a Dell, and have a Dell Windows disk, it will work and you will not need a key. Dell stores the key in the BIOS.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/547444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice