1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Troubleshooting???

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by caniac, Sep 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

My sister had a major power surge in her home recently, and her computer seems to have been damaged. I have been trying to help her get it running again. I know her power supply was blown and was hoping the damage did not reach the motherboard or other components. I tested it to make sure. We have the new supply (after a fiasco with Gateway). I installed it last night, but her computer still won't boot. I am now trying to find the faulty part(s).

Her monitor works fine. Her CD-Rom also opens and closes when power is on. All internal & external cables are correctly plugged in. One thing I noticed is that the new power supply fan DOES NOT spin at all. It's connector is properly connected to the motherboard.

Also, her floppy drive light NEVER goes on when powering up. The cable is NOT reversed and power is properly connected. Is this drive dead?

I cannot tell if the HDD spins either. What should I look for?

How can I tell if her motherboard or processor is indeed fried?

I am going over tonight with bootable floppies, etc to see if I can get anything going; however, if the floppy is dead......no luck. I will also try to put in the XP CD to see if that will boot.

Any other suggestions?

She runs XP Pro on a Pentium III 800Mhz cpu. Not sure model or make of motherboard. She has 384MB RAM. (not sure if that is dead either)

Thank You All!

2. RandyG

RandyG

Ok, this might or might not help, but I did it with an older model Gateway, and all was well with the world.

Unplug and reset everything plugged into the motherboard. I mean everything. I don't know if the power surge causes a feedback, a blockage, or just blows something out of it's seating slightly, but it acts as a reset after a powersurge. I also found that my original power supply was not blown as I had thought.

Good luck.

3. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

I have unplugged almost everything once, but I don't understand what you mean by reset everything. Can you explain? I'll go ahead and unplug ALL cables tonight.

Thank You.

4. RandyG

RandyG

That's exactly what I mean, remove all pluggable devices from the motherboard. That's cables, memory, cpu, pci cards, etc.

I mean reseat, meaning to remove and plug back in, as in seat again. The actions of doing this "resets" everything.

Got me now??!!:D;)

5. caniac

caniac Thread Starter

You bet. I'll give it a shot!

Thanks!!!

Do you know of any tell tale signs of a shot motherboard?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/95154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice