1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

TrueCrypt

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by tommy2k8, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

I can't post this on the TrueCrypt website because I don't have a paid-for email account.
    I have got lots of client data that I want to encrypt. I store the data on my Ubuntu machine, and as far as I understand, you have to use a Linux filesystem.
    What will happen if I want to access the data from a Windows machine?

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    How will you access your Ubuntu machine from Windows? It looks possible according to the following:

From here: http://www.truecrypt.org/faq
    This might help "Will I be able to mount my TrueCrypt volume (container) on any computer?

Yes, TrueCrypt volumes are independent of the operating system. You will be able to mount your TrueCrypt volume on any computer on which you can run TrueCrypt (see also the question 'Can I use TrueCrypt on Windows if I do not have administrator privileges?')."

Which refers to: http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/?s=non-admin-users

I hope my interpretation of your question is OK?

Richard.

3. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Thread Starter

I will try it, and get back to you!
    So, just to confirm, I can use TrueCrypt for Ubuntu,, and still access the data in Windows?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm 99% confident of that. I don't remember creating a TrueCrypt volume with Ubuntu, but I've used ones created with Windows. EDIT: You plan to make a small test case before jumping in with client data, right?

From memory (which is faulty) I think that FAT32 and NTFS are the only formatting options for TrueCrypt volumes. If you do get another choice use FAT32 or NTFS to assure compatibility.

Backups (copy of TrueCrypt volume or unencrypted copy of the contents) is even more important than backups for other data. A drive defect or other problem causing a TrueCrypt volume to become corrupted (or a forgotten encryption key) can mean the loss of everything in the volume.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice