1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved TrueImage 11 on Windows 7 Pro

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DaveA, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    We are getting a message that the backup will be made to a GUID type drive and will not be able to use the bootable system sick to restore.
    What does this error message really mean?

And how do we get around this, we have made images to the external drive earlier? GUID-TrueImage.png

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    This is saying that booting from a rescue CD/stick doesn't recognize drives formatted as GPT so it won't give you the choice to restore any images on that hard drive.

It would be better to format or use a drive, at least for some of the images that is formatted as MBR instead.

I wouldn't stress about it. I assume TI 11 is running on the computer.
    1. Make an image on an external MBR formatted drive.
    2. If the hard drive in the computer fails, restore that image, even if it is old.
    3. Run TI that is installed on the computer, attach the GPT formatted drive with newer images and do another restore.

3. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    We have done some images already on the external drive.
    How has it been changed to a GPT type?
    It is a 4 TB external drive.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I believe any portable hard drive over 2TB in size is formatted as GPT because MBR stops at 2TB limit.

I don't own anything larger than 2TB.

5. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    We find the problem, it is the fact that it is a USB3 external drive.
    We bought a 2TB USB3 and we have the same problem, even on a laptop with USB2 connections.
    Connected my 2 TB USB2 and all is well.

6. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Strange. 6 of the 7 newer WD portable hard drives I own are USB 3. (1 - 500 GB, 2 - 1TB, and 3 - 2TB).
    I don't have TI installed and I'm using TI 2010. Since every computer has been restored at one time or another, I'm almost positive that I restored from at least a few of those hard drives.

Now I do recall having a problem on one computer (running XP and 7). When I loaded TI 2010 it didn't see the images to restore so I had to use TI 2012.

I see TI 11 is from 2007 so the problem probably was fixed in 2012.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice