TrueOS install media won't boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cidy02

Hello.

I have an old HP 8470p that I've been trying to turn into a server by installing BSD. Since I'm too much of a noob to install FreeBSD, I settled for TrueOS.

I created an install USB using Rufus and tested it on my desktop PC, it works fine.

But when I try to boot from it in my laptop, it won't boot.

I've tried returning BIOS settings to default.
I've turned off Secure Boot.
I've tried Legacy Mode, UEFI Hybrid (With CSM) and UEFI Hybrid (Without CSM).

Nothing works.
Please help.

Thanks.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Have you set Usb as the first boot device in the Bios ?

Try all the Usb ports, it may only boot from Usb 2.0 ports.

cidy02

Hi and welcome to TSG.

Have you set Usb as the first boot device in the Bios ?

Try all the Usb ports, it may only boot from Usb 2.0 ports.
I have done both of those.

I've also gone into the boot menu and selected "Sandisk USB Hard Disk"

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Which version of TrueOS did you try ? Also what settings did you use in Rufus and what version of Rufus was it ?

cidy02

Which version of TrueOS did you try ? Also what settings did you use in Rufus and what version of Rufus was it ?
I'm using Rufus 3.1 Portable and TrueOS 18.06 STABLE x64

My Rufus settings are:

FS: fat32
Quick Format: yes
Partition Scheme: GPT

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
I used Rufus 3.3 portable which seems to be the latest version :- https://rufus.ie/downloads/rufus-3.3.exe

With a 4GB Usb stick and settings of FS: Fat, Quick Format: yes and Partition Scheme: MBR and the same TrueOS-Stable-x64-18.06.iso it booted and got to a screen offering options of <Install> <Shell> or <Live CD> and selecting Live CD gave a login prompt, that's as far as I can go and I'm using an oldish laptop with an old style Bios not Uefi which could make a difference.

cidy02

I used Rufus 3.3 portable which seems to be the latest version :- https://rufus.ie/downloads/rufus-3.3.exe

With a 4GB Usb stick and settings of FS: Fat, Quick Format: yes and Partition Scheme: MBR and the same TrueOS-Stable-x64-18.06.iso it booted and got to a screen offering options of <Install> <Shell> or <Live CD> and selecting Live CD gave a login prompt, that's as far as I can go and I'm using an oldish laptop with an old style Bios not Uefi which could make a difference.

16GB is the lowest I have. That should work, right? I'm gonna try it with the settings you said

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Using a 16GB Usb stick shouldn't make any difference.

cidy02

Using a 16GB Usb stick shouldn't make any difference.

I did as you said.
Then I press F9 and select USB Hard Disk aaaand... Nothing. The screen turns of, then back on, and shows the HP logo, and tries to boot from other mediums.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Try setting the Usb stick as first boot device in the Bios. There may also be a Bios setting for drive priority, if so put the Usb stick as first choice there as well.

cidy02

Try setting the Usb stick as first boot device in the Bios. There may also be a Bios setting for drive priority, if so put the Usb stick as first choice there as well.

USB Hard Drive is set as first boot device. I don't see anything regarding drive priority.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Ok, did you try all the CSM type options ? If you did I think maybe having a Uefi bios on your computer is causing the problem but that's just a guess.

cidy02

Ok, did you try all the CSM type options ? If you did I think maybe having a Uefi bios on your computer is causing the problem but that's just a guess.

I just realized I had fastboot on. I turned it off, and now selecting USB sends me into a on/off bootloop

cidy02

Just tried Legacy and both UEFI (W/ and W/O CSM) in all USB Ports. With fast boot off. No change.

Now I'm gonna try with fast boot on.

cidy02

Nope. Same thing with fast boot off. Just no boot instead of bootloop.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online