1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trusted Installer queries

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Shortcutter, May 18, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

Advertisement
  1. Shortcutter

Shortcutter Thread Starter

My husband has been having a lot of trouble with his computer and this has worsened since he upgraded
    to Windows 10. He is talking about re-installing Windows 7 but as he does not understand the problems he is having I am trying to work out what is wrong.

Tried to set up sfc /scannow - Search Box would not respond - could not type in box - gave up trying to sort this - set up scannow via Task Manager with elevated privileges but received error message "Windows Resource Protection could not start". On Microsoft Community Forum Site I found suggestions for ADDING a missing Trusted Installer which I am looking into. In the process I found he has 2 different Trusted Installer IDs

The sub folder in C:\Windows\Servicing Version gives him a Trusted Installer ID ending in .570
    The only folders I could find in WinSxS (amd64-microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_is followed by Trusted Installer ID ending in 486

Would this be the cause of his problems - or one of them? If so can you advise how I should proceed to remedy this ? The Microsoft Community solution is for a MISSING ID not for 2 conflicing versions !

Hopefully yours

Shortcutter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, AMD64 Family 21 Model 16 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 7633 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7540D, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 519 GB (440 GB Free); D: 399 GB (371 GB Free);
    Motherboard: MSI, FM2-A55M-E33 (MS-7721)
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Last edited: May 18, 2017 at 10:55 AM
  2. Tabvla

Tabvla

Firstly, I don't think that W10 is the problem. I have looked at your computer specs and those specs are easily able to run W10. The hardware in your husband's computer should serve him well for several years. W7 mainstream support ended 2 years ago in 2015 and extended support will end in just over 2 years in Jan 2020. Reverting back to w7 is not, in my view, a good idea.

Fixing W10 is absolutely the way to go, you don't want to end up with a good computer and an unsupported OS.

If I was sitting at your husband's computer I would start by doing the following in this order....

As a matter of caution, just in case the Hard Disk is failing it would probably be a good idea to make a Backup of all your personal files on completely separate media (CD/DVD, SD, another HDD or even Cloud Storage) before starting to do anything..... then proceed as follows...
    1. Login as the Administrator
    2. Make sure that both the computer and monitor are set to "Never" in Power Settings
    3. Run an AV scan of the entire system (could take some time)
    4. Run a Malware scan of the entire system (Malwarebytes or Emsisoft both have Free online scanners)
    5. Run a Check Disk on both disks (or both Partitions if only a single disk)
    6. Open a CMD window and run sfc /scannow from within the CMD (don't run sfc /scannow from the Search Box
    At this point you need to get back to the Forum and let us know where you are at after doing the above.

What you should absolutely NOT do is start changing settings or going into the Registry or just trying a procedure for unknown or little understood reasons. And if you are not sure then please ask. Your husband's computer is a little sick at the moment, you don't want to make it terminally ill....:eek:

T.

3. Shortcutter

Shortcutter Thread Starter

Thankyou very much for reply. Sorry for delay but husband very depressed over computer and needs a lot of encouragement to try your suggestions ! He is now running a Malwarebytes scan and we will get back later. He has checked Power etc. set to NEVER.
    We are assuming Malwarebytes scan covers the Antivirus requirement. We have Malwarebytes Premium 3.0 which has been giving a lot of problems to other people but after a couple of initial glitches, not to me personally. My husband had his problems with computer prior to installing MBW.

I had trouble when I tried to run sfc scannow last time - computer would not recognise net user. I`ll try again though. Presumably (I`m only a quarter of the way to computer literacy !) I can use
    Windows plus R to start the Command menu in order to avoid using Search.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

A. Malware Scans

I don't want to confuse the issue and digress from the core of this problem. However, when I see something in your replies that is inaccurate I will, for the sake of clarity, respond to that. In your reply you wrote ".....We are assuming Malwarebytes scan covers the Antivirus requirement......". Typically a "Malware" focused utility and an "Anti Virus" focused utility operate in different ways and can in fact work in tandem.

MBAM Premium 3.0 has tried to be all-things-to-all-users and has in my (and many others) opinion failed catastrophically in the task. That is why many (including myself) have cancelled our subscriptions and have sourced alternative Malware protection.

The Malwarebytes online (and Free) scanner still does a great job of finding suspect files that might be missed by an AV. The same comment applies to the Emsisoft online (also Free) scanner.

B. Running sfc /scannow from a CMD window

Opening a CMD window is very easy to do. Proceed as follows....

1. Login as the Administrator
    2. Click the Start icon (lower Left on Taskbar)
    3. To the Left of the Start window are a list of Programs
    4. Scroll down the list until you get to "W" and then look for "Windows System"
    5. Click on the very small down-arrow that is displayed to the Right of the words "Windows System"
    6. A sub-menu will open and the item at the top of that menu will be "Command Prompt"
    7. Click on Command Prompt and a CMD window will open

You then run sfc /scannow from within that window.

When the scan has completed take a Screenshot (Windows key + PrtSc) and attach it to your next Post.

T.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1190159