Trusted Sites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Anastasia15

What sites do you use/recommend for freeware/shareware downloads. There appears to be so many out there but which one's can you trust. What are the top three popular sites that are trusted to provide the right software download that's free of spyware/viruses?:)

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Anastasia15

I use www.majorgeeks.com for several items, such as free anti-virus (AVG or AVAST) and firewall programs.
If I am not certain of a website, I use Google to compare results.
Just depends on what you are looking for.

...And always scan your downloads with your Anti-virus program before installing them. :)

Hope that helps.

I have always used Softpedia. They guarantee their downloads 100% CLEAN, that it does not contain any form of malware, spyware, viruses, trojans and backdoors.

DoubleHelix

Banned
You mentioned in another thread about problems with system stability. If you frequently install and remove programs to try them out, you could be giving yourself an unnecessary headache. I use a VirtualPC system to try applications. This way my main system is unaffected.

Anastasia15

Actually, I seldom download programs unless I am sure that they are good and people highly recommend them. That analogy saves me a lot of wasted time and headaches. So I hear you on that one. How does the "VirtualPC system work?

Augie65..I heard of Softpedia but people gave mixed reviews as to whether it's to be trusted.
Have you downloaded many programs from that site? Any problems w/spyware etc.?

EaFiedler...Heard of Majorgeeks for sure. Didn't know how reliable they were. I once went to their site and it looked like a "hacker" designed it LOL!!!!!! I just couldn't stop laughing, it looked hillarious. I don't know there's so many spoof sites out there, viruses, keyloggers and various other maniacs you have to be careful of. Who ever thought computing would be this much of a headache tee hee!!!

Anastasia15 said:
Augie65..I heard of Softpedia but people gave mixed reviews as to whether it's to be trusted.
Have you downloaded many programs from that site? Any problems w/spyware etc.?
Yes, I have used it and Major Geeks also. Never had any problems from either. I just research programs and reviews
before I download any program. You just have to be cautious about everything these days.:(

Anastasia15

Oh yes, how can we forget about "licensing" Microsoft just tries so hard to instill convenience and support for their product line. Not to mention being overly friendly to your wallet.;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online