Try Again or Work Offline!!!!HELP!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

keerbear412

Hello, I am having issues with my internet connection, well actually the internet connection is fine because once I click try again it proceeds to the next webpage, but it is really annoying. Is there a setting that I can change so that it does not do this anymore? I am hoping for a quick fix, but whatever it takes to make this go away!!! Thanks for any replies, they are greatly appreciated!!!

TerryNet

Terry
Are you, or are you not, having an issue with your internet connection? If so, please give us something to go on--ISP, modem, router, type of connection(s), what happens, etc.

If you prefer that I make a guess, my guess is that you are using Internet Explorer and are annoyed with the way it sometimes decides to frequently and incorrectly claim "offline." If that is what is happening I know of three alternatives:

a. Get used to it;
b. Hope it goes away;
c. Use a better browser; a year ago I switched from Netscape to Firefox; recommend the latter; use IE for, at most, Microsoft updates.

keerbear412

Thank you TheOutcaste! I was so annoyed I forgot to give any information...oopss, sorry about that. I am using Windows Xp Home, Of course the problem is occuring in IE7. This is actually two brand new computers and they are both doing the same thing and I do not know how to disable this. I am able to get online, but I constantly have to click try again to get to the next web page.. If you need anymore info I would be glad to reply. Thanks...

Try the following:
Start Internet Explorer 7.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the Advanced tab, click Reset...
In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.
Close and restart IE7 and test.

A scan for spyware might be in order.
Spyware Links
AdAware 2007 Free
Older versions of AdAware for Win9x
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
Ewido/AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
AVG Anti-SpyWare Free Edition
AVG Anti-Rootkit Free Edition

The steps in the article linked in my previous post may also apply for IE7, except the option in #7 (Enable offline items to be synchronized on a schedule) is not there.
This problem addressed in the article usually only happens when you first start the browser. Once you uncheck Work Offline you can browse normally until you restart IE, but it sounds like you get this error every time you click a link or enter an address, is that right? Is Work Offline showing as checked at any time?

You can also try clicking LAN Settings on the connections tab in Internet Options, and toggle the Automatically detect settings box.

On the Advanced tab, uncheck the box for Enable third-party browser extensions if it is checked. Close all IE windows, then restart and see if it now works. If it does then one of those extensions is the culprit. I'm not that familiar with IE7, but I believe these are listed under Tools | Manage Add-ons | Enable or Disable Addons. Set it to show Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer, then you can enable ones that are disabled until you find the one causing the problem. There may be other third-party browser extensions that are not listed here, I just don't know.

If this started fairly recently, you might also try a System Restore, found in Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools to go back to a date before this started.

Uninstalling IE7, testing IE6, and re-installing IE7 if IE6 works is another option. If IE6 doesn't work, you can re-install it:
How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows XP

Or, chuck IE7 and go with Firefox as TerryNet suggests. :)

HTH

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online