1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

tryin to reformat win98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by spikespeigel, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spikespeigel

spikespeigel Thread Starter

im in dos after puttin in the boot disk, i chose boot from cdrom, then chose start comuter with cdrom support, it then puts me in dos and i go to d: drive, and try to format by typing "format c" but it says bad command or file name...i also tried "format c:" and it still wont work...why nOT? please help me ive been workin on this thing all night

2. ratchet

ratchet

At the A: prompt and type format C:, or type help at the A: prompt and read the help file.

3. spikespeigel

says bad command or file name for both things you said, im gonna try and put in the winxp cd that i have, have it format, then cancel the install and put my win 98 cd in :)

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I have a section with instructions for creating a boot disk at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm.

There is also the generic one which you can download and extract.

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

5. iq454

iq454

Hi,

If you booting from cd, why does it ask the 3 options to start with cd rom support, it should just boot straight to your cd. Anywho, try "format c:/s".

6. spikespeigel

i got it to reformat...but now it wont install...says not enough disk space even though i have a 20 gig harddrive in there...i have had more problems tonight than ever before...any ideas why this is happening?

7. iq454

iq454

Both problems were solved. About the formatting, if you could tell people how you solved it that would be good.

The other problem spikespeigel had was, "not enough disk space", he simply had to go into fdisk and use the bigger partition as he said "he got the PC from gateway" and gateway had a 16MB partition there as well, which was being used to install his OS, he simply used the other 19 GIGS that was partitoined.

For anyone else with this problem follow THIS guide for a fresh install without a partition, or if you have two partitions and the one being the main active partition is too small and is the one being used to install the OS like spikespeigel's problem, then just delete it both and make one partition and use all available space when it askes. Then follow the guide . And don't follow the advice of not using the /s switch as if you don't use it, it will not omit the problems windows has once you install and it will also leave a few files behind that will not allow you to load it if these files are there, config.sys, empty zero bytes or not, it will still be recognized as a OS to the install cd. Don't follow Bobs guide as it will install over an already installed OS, this is for PC's that don't have an OS on it, not partitioned or formatted, or has a virus that your virus programs can't cure.
    And if you have viruses on it, you wouldn't want to load over existing OS, you should really kill it by a format if your anit-virus programs can't fix it.
    But if you don't want to format and your drive is clean of viruses then Bob's GUIDE at post #24 should be used, as it does give you the benefits of a fresh install without formatting.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm not sure what guide you are referring to that I mentioned. The only information I provided was a place to make boot disks. Nothing at all mentioned here about formatting or reinstalling anywhere from my posts. Is this something you are actually reading?

The only other information about using the /s switch were both from you. Which one should we ignore, the first one or the second one.

9. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Bob and others, I'm sure you already know this but to clarify this for others that may read this thread, the /s switch simply makes the hardrive bootable before you install Windows which really isn't necessary unless you need to try and load CDrom drivers to the hardrive because the boot diskette doesn't give you CDRom support. In most cases it will and even in that senario, there are boot diskettes like CDGod that even makes that unnecessary. I generally use it due to old habits but it's really not necessary like it may have been back in the W95 days.

Anyway, I'd suggest booting to the boot diskette and running Fdisk to see what partitions are on the drive. It sounds like you may have an old partition left over and in that case I'd suggest using Fdisk to delete All partitions, create a new primary DOS partition and then reformat the drive. I'll add the steps below ...

Insert the boot diskette and power on the machine. It should boot up to a boot menu with 3 options. If not, youÂ’ll need to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to A,D,C

After it has booted to the bootmenu, select the option to "Start with CDRom Support". Somewhere on the screen at the very end, it tells you what drive letter it has temporarily assigned to the CDRom drive. It will look something like this, "Drive X =MSCD001", where "X" is the drive letter that's been temporarily assigned to your CDRom drive for the install. Make a note of what drive letter it displays. If you don't see that phrase on the screen then you didn't get CD Rom support. Stop and do not go any further since you won't be able to install Windows from CD without CDRom support.

Assuming you did get CDRom support, key in the following at the A:\> prompt. Your first post said you were keying in the commands from a D:\> prompt. You don't want to do that. The commands (Fdisk and Format) are stored on the floppy in the A: drive so don't change to the D:\> drive. Anyway, at the A:\> prompt key in the following and press enter.

fdisk

Leave the default set to "Y" for large disk support and press enter.

Now use the option to "Delete Partitions". Delete any and all you see listed. Be sure you also delete any Non-DOS partions and any logical partitions. You want to delete ALL partitions. Now take the option to "Create a Partition" and create a "Primary DOS" partition. Take all of the defaults during the Primary DOS partition creation.

Now after the PC has restarted, key in the following at the A:\> and press enter.

format c:

When it's done insert your Windows CD. Then key in the following command at the prompt and be sure to change the drive letter, "X", to the drive letter that was temporarily assigned to your CDRom drive that you should have made note of earlier.

X:\setup

Hope that helps, let us know what happens ...

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I usually don't format with the /s switch if it is going to be followed by an install of Win98. Seems like there has been a lot of untested misinofrmation about that requirement floating around lately. As you point out it isn't necessary. COMMAND.COM, the necessary system files, and a blank autoexec.bat and config.sys files will automatically be created during the installation of the operating system and nothing further needs to be added, deleted or changed.

The installation of the OS will overwrite anything that would be put there anyway. Otherwise you could do something like format /s with a WinME disk. If the install of Win98 didn't put in the correct files, there would be lots of problems.

Generally how I like to install Win98 on a brand new system (and assuming the partitioning is already set the way you want):

1. Boot with a Win98 boot disk that will let you access your CD ROM. The one noted previously will do this.

2. Format the drive ( format c: )

3. Copy the Win98 source files to a a directory on your hard drive.

4. Install from that directory.

This way if the OS ever needs files at a later point in time (e.g. print drivers, network drivers etc.), it gets them right from the hard drive and you don't need to worry about getting your Win98 CD out.

11. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Yep, I too install from the hardrive. Either way works but like you mentioned, the install from the HD will make it easier when they add Windows Componets in the future since it sets the registry key to make it look to the hardrive down the line making inserting the Windows CD unnnecessary. Obviously you can go back after installing from the CD and set that up, too. Anyway, right or wrong, I tend to just keep it simple and suggest the install from the CD. I'll provide a little more detail in case they want to go in that direction.

To install from the hardrive, after formatting the drive and booting up "With CDRom Support", at an A:\> prompt ...

md c:\windows
    md c:\windows\options
    md c:\windows\options\cabs
    copy d:\win98\*.* c:\windows\options\cabs\*.*

Note: Replace "d:" above with whatever drive letter was assigned to your CDRom drive earlier.

Now remove the CD.

At the a:\> prompt type in the following and press enter.

c:\windows\options\cabs\setup

You'll be prompted during the install that the Windows folder already exists and it will suggest you install to Windows.000

Remove the .000 from the end and let it install to the existing folder Windows

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically I don't put the source files in that directory to avoid the problem with the problem with the extra prompt. Just create a directory like c:\win98se and put everything in there. Also less typing (since I'm so bad at it ;-)

Still not sure of what all the ramblings and misinformation rom iq454 was all about. Sounds like to a bit of an attitude going on.

13. iq454

iq454

lol, not misinformation, just you not being able to understand pure english.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Thank you for clearing that up. I understand now where the problem is.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice