1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Tryin to take a rid of People

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Renamed&Closed5, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Renamed&Closed5

Renamed&Closed5 Account Closed Thread Starter

Dears,

Id like to ask you if someone might help me.
    In a building where are like 40 students they connect to the internet all the day and night. And i have asked our ISP to lock youtube to lock youtube from 18:00 PM untill 06:00 AM. It have connected one wireless Linksys WRT54GL to the router so its sending wireless connection. But they are probably downloading or mass wathcing youtube and its locking the internet so they are compaling for the slow internet. Is there any way because i dont have any money to pay for equipments or better internet to do anything against that? Linksys has a weird option to block some sites but i have blocked them at the wireless router and i was able to get into the sites. Is there any change to put something like a filter or something?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Unless they are using the wireless to connect to the internet blocking it there will do nothing to people using a wired connection. I am sure there are also Wii and XBOX users that are hogging up the bandwidth as well. Unless you are very computer literate and can build an open source Firewall your only option is to spend some money for some sort of content filter or bandwidth throttling devices.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

You are outgunned here. At the very least I would suggest an enterprise router/network setup.

4. Renamed&Closed5

Is there any software which allows me to Monitor my network who and what sites are being used? I mean can i install it into my PC and use it like a filter on all the network??? I want to know where the people on my wireless are connecting and what are they using which are the sites that take bandwith?

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

If it were only a few users, then...yeah...there are some measures you could take by blocking YouTube/P2P/Steam...whatever...

...but with 40+ users, even casual surfing is going to stomp your network into the dirt.

I would suggest that whoever owns the building/network pony up for proper internet service, especially if that is a condition of the rent agreement or lease.

6. Rockn

Rockn

If you have an extra computer with two network cards you can set up an Untangle Server/firewall to do everything you need to do. You can do content filtering as well as look at reports for what users are doing. I also believe there is some badwidth throttling that can be done based on rules you can set up. Free and pretty simple to set up.

7. prunejuice

prunejuice

A drop in the bucket for 40 users on a residential router.

Will frustrate legitimate users more than anything else.

8. Rockn

Rockn

Why would a firewall frustrate the users that are legitimate, they will never know it is there. BTW, the untangle server can also function as a router. This is not an ideal situation and since I am assuming that these users are in an off campus housing maybe educating them as to why they are having issues due to their internet usage might curb some of the abuse...I wouldn't hold my breath however.

9. Renamed&Closed5

ROCKN good idea. Im gonna take a look at my office i might find a computer. Shall i install windows server 2003 on it?

10. prunejuice

prunejuice

:rolleyes:

11. Rockn

Rockn

Untangle server runs on top of Linux. Like I stated before, if you are not moderately technically inclined then this installation is not going to work for you. There is configuration that is necessary to get the firewall running correctly.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You call it "my network", but you say 40 students are connecting to it with a cheap consumer grade router. What kind of environment is this? Do you personally own the Internet connection and all the infrastructure? Are you paying the bill? Is there already an Internet use policy in place for these 40 users regarding bandwidth usage and outlining what is and isn't allowed?

13. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Hey Rockn, do you have any personal experience with using Untangle VS using Smoothwall or even IPcop.

14. Rockn

Rockn

I just set it up in the office and it was a piece of cake. I had tried Smoothwall ages ago, but found it too cumbersome. Out of the box the Untangle server has tons of features usually reserved for the VERY expensive enterprise devices. Untangle gives you the basics out of the box, but makes their money selling the more intensive modules. I was surprised how easy it was to set up although it did not like USB mice or keyboards on the older hardware I set it up on.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice