1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to Add 2 External Monitors to a Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mysticwarrio, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mysticwarrio

mysticwarrio Thread Starter

Hello,

At the moment my laptop monitor is broken so I'm using an external LCD monitor. I want to add a 2nd external monitor for convenience.. nothing like extreme gaming or anything.. but there is only 1 vga port, no dvi port or anything fancy.

I am assuming I need the Y-Shaped cable like this??: http://www.meritline.com/vga-to-dua...onitor-cable---p-33499.aspx?source=nextaghdac If so does it matter by brand? Or is it pretty standard?

And I've been reading around that I need to know if my video card can handle 2 monitors... how do I find out?
    The laptop I'm using is a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 with 3 megs ram, I'm thinking my video card is the Intel GMA 950 video, Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks for your help!

2. slakkjaw

slakkjaw

That cable should work for two displays, yes. It will not allow you to use "Multiple Display" mode, however. All it will do is send an identical signal to two different monitors. So what you do on one will be done on the other.

If you want to use "Multiple Display" mode to extend your desktop, you will need two output ports. Most laptops have only one external as the laptops screen is usually used as the first.

3. zyper95

zyper95

If you like to attach two external monitors on your laptop, I suggest that you purchase either a port replicator or a docking station with two VGA ports where you can connect both of your monitors.

4. mysticwarrio

That sucks, sounds like I'm going to have to spend a good $50-100+ just t connect a 2nd external monitor. Is there a way to "turn off" the 1st monitor (the laptop's) so my external monitors can be #1 and #2 while using the Y shaped connector?

Also, is it standard for a PC Desktop to have 2 female ports and 1 male whereas in this case my laptop only has the female?

5. zyper95

zyper95

You can switch display output by hodling the Fn and tapping the F10. I suggest to read the user guide of your laptop to switch to view only using external monitor and turning the internal. As for working 2 monitors in one VGA port, it may work. However, the computer sees it as one monitor, so maximizing or fullscreening a window will use both monitors as one wide one. When using the digital monitors, each as 1920 x 1200, the computer sees it as one monitor at 3840 x 1200. I hope this help!

6. slakkjaw

slakkjaw

Nope. There is literally nothing in the world that can make that Y-connector do what you want it to do. It's like any other splitter. It just takes one signal and sends it down two different paths. It will not even work in the way that Zyper suggests, unfortunately. All it will do is give you two identical screens. Windows opened on one will be opened the same on the other.

To be able to utilize "Multiple Display" mode, you absolutely must have a) a video card that supports it and b) two or more functioning outputs. As it is, you DO have a video card that supports it, but you only have one functioning output.

Your only options are to repair the internal monitor of the laptop or get a docking station that has multiple external monitor ports.

7. zyper95

zyper95

Try to read what I have posted "the computer sees it as one monitor, so maximizing or fullscreening a window will use both monitors as one wide one." I did not emply that the user can have two different content on the screen.

8. mysticwarrio

so you're saying.. its like having 1 big monitor but instead 2 monitors but switching the resolution so its a lot wider like a full screen display? So everything will be extra wider, rather than having 1 screen with my desktop icons, while the 2nd monitor has less or none because of the expansion ?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/961095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice