1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to add 2nd pc to wifi. windows blocked

Discussion in 'Networking' started by AllanM, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AllanM

AllanM Thread Starter

Hi. The problem I am now having setting up bb to wifi dongle on 2nd pc, I had previously when setting up bb to wifi dongle on my 1st pc. It took a week of calling virgin before emailing the ceo to get some assistance. I dont have the time or patience for that route now so hopefully someone can help!
    I have bought a Asus 802.11 N wifi dongle and are attempting to connect wife's pc to the virgin bb in the same way I have with my pc.
    Windows wireless manager is blocked from configuring the connection.
    Wireless zero configuration resets itself to disabled.

I remember the engineer who helped me months ago when this happened to 1st pc saying that Virgin media, windows and Asus Device manager were all trying to configure my connection at once.

When I open wireless network connections and then open properties, I have a General tab and an Advanced tab, but between these two I should have a Wireless Networks tab! Which is currently present on pc 1 but not pc 2!

Can anybody help??????

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Trying to pick through the clues in your post it sounds to me that you have Windows XP and are using an Asus wireless utility to manage the connection. Is this correct? If so, can you detect your network? If so, exactly what happens when you try to connect?

If my interpretation is not correct how about filling in the blanks, please?

3. AllanM

AllanM Thread Starter

Hi Terry. Sorry for late response, and thank you for your reply. I am on XP and yes I am using Asus. I cannot access any wireless networks at all on the 2nd PC as windows says it cannot configure this wireless network. It says if I have enabled another program to do this then to use their software.
    It then recommends that if I want windows to configure the network that I can do this using the wireless zero configuration.
    The wzc is being blocked by another program, seconds after I set the wzc to automatic it sends the signal and connection is attempted, but the wzc is instantly set back to disable and connection is blocked.

4. AllanM

AllanM Thread Starter

I have removed the program for wireless manager which is from my broadband provider and have found some success, though unfortunately my signal strength is still very slow.
    What I am getting now is a message on both computers telling me that there is a conflict between the IP addresses on both computers. Maybe in trying to connect the two PC's I have accidentally mimicked my IP address over to the 2nd PC...
    I do not know how to reverse this. There must be a simple reset procedure?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, now you only have one wireless utility running, and it's the one you want?

If both PCs are assigned the same static IP change one. If only one is using a static IP make sure it is outside the Dhcp server's address range. If both PCs are using dynamic addressing do a "network reset" by shutting down the computers and unplugging the router; then plug in the router followed by booting the computers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971177

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice