trying to add another hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

skywatcher39

Hi I have a compaq 566 mhz which has a 6 gig hard drive i want to add a 40 gig as a slave but it dont want to show up, i have tryed changing the jumpers dont seem to work so i disconnected the 6gig tryed the 40 gig in its place and changed the jumpers again as im not sure where there sposed to be, but it wont fire up so im not sure what to do next could someone help me out please.Just for refernce the hard drive is new and has win xp on it i am trying to use it as a slave and delete xp as the person wants the 40 gig empty.

G'day skywatcher39, you might return everything to the original state and see if you can get it operating as it was before the operation began.
WXP really doesn't like to be moved around with drive positions.
Do not operate on the system unless the power plug is disconnected, this protects the machine to a small degree from inadvertant events..
On the premise that you can get everything fully operational once again, note the drive which is primary master and all the settings of all the bridges.
Note also which IDE is being used for the cdrom items and their bridge settings.
Say HDD primary master might be set as IDE O, (first ide) and that hard drive as master, using the end connector of the ide cable etc.
Having all the information as to which drives are required to be in which location and set as which position, including the CDROM, you can proceed to consider the complete reinstall process.
Cheers, qldit.

skywatcher39

Ive just all so tyred to put the hard drive in my new pc as a slave but im just not sure where the jumpers are surposed to be,if someone could help me out on that or do you know a addy where they have picture that could walk me threw it.

crjdriver

With that old of a machine, you probably need a bios update to use a drive of that size.

Your jumpers should be set as follows; 6gig set as master on ide1 40 gig as slave on ide1. Note your system MAY use CS [cable select] If so, you can set both jumpers to CS. Connect the 6 gig to the black end of the cable; connect the 40 gig to the gray end. The blue end goes to the mb.

One more thing. If one of the drives is a western digital drive, there are other jumpers settings for wd drives depending on whether it is master, slave, or master with multiple drives.

crjdriver

Go to the site of the mfg. Check to see if there are any updates that address hd issues. Read instructions completely; this is important since a bad bios flash can render your board unbootable.

Again make SURE you understand how to do a bios flash. It is not a difficult task; it is just that done wrong it will make your system unbootable.

skywatcher39

what does mfg stand for as i dont think im getting the right addy with mfg?also ive just tryed and old 2 gig hard drive and i could access that one,i also not sure how to tell if it has cable select.

crjdriver

Opps, just say you have a compaq. Go to compaq's site and see if there are any bios updates.

you should be carful while updating your BIOS , otherwise you might render your motherboad useless,secondly check jumper information on drives, different brands have differnt jumper settings,

Is the 40 gig drive one that you had on hand and that you personally know runs OK or is it a new drive?

If it is new, I would not worry too much about it, if it is used and you do not personally know that it runs, it might pay to check it out to make sure that the drive runs.

skywatcher39

Ok what i have done is put a 20 gig in the pc as the slave and it works ok but when i right click on it says that the file R.A.W ,when i tryed to open the hard drive it says that i had to format it or something like that so i formated the drive ok and it now says its F.A.T.and the hard drive is 52 megs not 20 gig,could someone help me out on this problem.thanks skywatcher.

G'day skywatcher, to fit a different hard drive often requires a careful procedure to enable the drive to be compatable with the system it is being installed to.
The drive needs to be formulated so that its specific size and construction information can be known to the system, this is apart from the actual orientation of the various concentric circlular paths where data is stored.
To achieve this you need to F-disk the drive, this allows an area at the very beginning of the drive to be made which contains relevant information to instruct the system as to it's size and other information, after this a file storage system needs to be placed in those concentric circular areas with a location system, very much like a librarian in a library. This allows the files to be deposited and easily recovered.
There are considerable different types of these file storage systems so that is what must be considered.
So firstly we must use a program to Fdisk the drive, then we must use another to format the drive, it is then sensible to do a complete scandisk to ensure the drive has good integrity and will function properly.
After this the operating system or whatever may be loaded.
In that you are only going to use this drive as a slave, the Fdisk, format and scandisk would be a suggested series of operations.
It probably would be easiest for you to obtain a WME start-up floppy to use for this entire operation. I think the madboot disk will allow you to do this.
The fdisk program will only operate on the C: drive so to achieve this the main hard-drive will have to be set as "not fitted" in the initial BIOS screen.
This is usually easiest done be going into BIOS and using the IDE autodetect sub-area.
If we assume your normal hard-drive is arranged as primary master and your slave is arranged as primary slave on the first IDE then when you auto-detect the first drive will show with it's parameters and prompt for a "Y" or "N" inso hitting the "N"for the first drive the auto mode will step through to the next etc. So when the second drive parameters appear, (eg your 20 G) you would hit "Y" and then enter and step through to the second IDE with the next drives, usually the CD's etc.
When you achieve this if you go back to the first BIOS information screen where the drives and time are all displayed just step through the settings and ensure the only hard drive mentioned there is the 20 gig. So now you only would appear to have one operational active hard drive.
Ensure the system is set to boot from the floppy.
Now if you place your WME boot floppy in the drive and boot from it you will get a screen asking if you want to have the cd drive, no cd drive or basic boot kind of thing. Select either with CD or without CD at this point and the computer will boot into dos screen with the dos prompt showing the A: Are you with me so far.
Cheers, qldit.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!