1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to block RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alfie69, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alfie69

Alfie69 Thread Starter

Hi there

Recently I've replaced my hard drive. This is because my laptop was blue-screening and freezing so much that a string of bad shut downs eventually knackered it. The laptop is a tosh, satellite 4100XCDT, 128mb Ram, 400Mhz. I'm running win 98SE and it's still blue screening etc. So as the next course of action I'm trying to isolate if this is a RAM issue and if so, which bit of RAM.

I've run memtest86 and this came up blank.

Next I have tried to limit the Himem in config sys, but the max RAM i seem able to shut off/bypass seems to be approx 16mb, even if i put a higher figure in the himem.sys /int15 line. And as the comp still blue screens, it's clearly RAM in another section.

Trying maxphyspage is a bit dodgy because if I direct this amount to be 32mb, the system becomes really unstable and blue screens all the time. This could therefore mean that the bad RAM is within this section, or it could just mean I need more RAM to run the system properly. If, however, it is the bad section, how can I get the computer to ignore it.

Is there anyone there out there who has any idea how to help me? It seems I'm just running around like a headless chicken at the moment randomly hitting keys on the keyboard and hoping for the best. I know I could go to a shop to get this fixed, but I'd really like to learn some stuff before I do that, to see if I can do this myself.

Thanks

Alfie :confused:

2. slipe

slipe

3. Alfie69

Alfie69 Thread Starter

Yeah, completely new install of win98. I've not even transferred over anything from the old hard drive yet so basically nothing can be attributed to the old hard drive or the op system as exactly the same fault is still being exhibited. I'm 90% confident that this is a ram issue because of this, but I could be wrong.

4. gws226

gws226

It does look like it a ram issue thusfar... I suggest that you attempt to remove one of the sticks of memory from the laptop and retest... Some of these models have onboard ram that can not removed, lets hope its one of the external sticks that is causing the problem.

Good luck,
    G

5. Alfie69

Alfie69 Thread Starter

Unfortunately I already know that it's the built in ram. Problem still occurs when I take the 64mb stick out. Which is why I could really do with a way of getting the comp to ignore the built in 64mb and just using the expansion slot with perhaps a 128mb stick.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice