1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to build a tri-fold brochure with

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by piscespassion, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piscespassion

piscespassion Thread Starter

So I'm trying to create a tri-fold brochure, and I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with it... guess it's just one of those things :confused:
    Here's what I did ...
    I originally created one on MS Word, and I have 2007 which I absolutely "dislike" cus I was so used to the others!! (ie, always trying to use the shortcuts out of habit, but they don't work in 2007)
    Anyway... I set the margins to 0.5" all around, and a Landscape orientation. I inserted a table of 3 columns. I inserted text boxes for the headings and texts, and inserted some images in between. After hours of work (all 6 panels completed), I sent it to FedEx (Kinko's) for printing, with special instructions because when it uploaded, it looked slightly different than "my end"... as in, the left and right columns were too close to the middle column, and thus too far from their margins (end of paper). But I thought this was something they could "fix" (as they do offer those options!)...
    They called me and said the "pdf" file I sent was not "fixable", they can't alter it in "pdf" format... and asked me to resend it via their email address as a "doc" format. And this is probably one of my problems (that I see) is that everything I save in this 2007 version of Word gets saved as ".docx", and I really hadn't noticed that until this FedEx problem arose! And now I do notice that all my saved files open up with [Compatibility Mode] written after the file name (when the file is "open"). So I tried saving some and checking my "save as type" options, where I see:

- Word Document (altho this is the one that saves it in .docx and opens in Compatibility Mode)
    - Word Macro-Enabled Document
    - Word 97-2003 Document (I try saving using this type and adding .doc to the end of my document's name, but sometimes it says there are parts of my file which may not be accessible because of "something about the symbols or images or format or something", as if because the document is created in 2007 version, some parts won't be accessible in 2003 version...?)
    - Word Template (Always was curious as to what this one means...? Does it mean I can reuse it with editing options?)
    - Word Macro-Enabled Template
    - Word 97-2003 Template
    - PDF (I thought I'd have to "choose" this if I wanted a "pdf" file, but apparently FedEx receives uploads in "pdf" automatically maybe?)
    - XPS Document (???... Yeah, from here on down it gets crazy, as I would've never guessed there were so many options)
    - Single File Web Page
    - Web Page
    - Web Page, Filtered
    - Rich Text Format
    - Plain Text
    - Word XML Document
    - Word 2003 XML Document
    - OpenDocument Text
    - Works 6.0 - 9.0

So anyway... I was introduced to someone this morning who happens to have a printing company (friend of a friend) and offered to do my brochures (first set for free cus my friend is an alumni there, and it's a long story). He gave me his business card and said to bring him a "pdf" copy. What's the easiest way to do this? Just create it in my *&$#! Word 2007 and save it as PDF? And if so, when I'm done with it, is it not alterable anymore? (as in the case was with FedEx?)
    As you can see, I'm frustrated right now, so my apologies for the long explanation of my dilemma... I was up all night working on a brochure template I ran into on VistaPrint (who does my business cards), but since it was a template, naturally my original "work of art" was modified... alot! And that was after I Google-searched for templates and downloaded one that I liked, which opened up with MS Office Publisher and I worked on it "there"... so now I have all these different versions of my brochure all over the place, and just want to "get it done" :rolleyes:
    Thx guys for your patience!!!
    xoxo~Rose

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I use a single row table, and the height is the full height of the page.
    Three columns, one for each area.
    Page two is the same, and just be aware of how you fold it after printing.

ie., 2 tables, one on each page.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice