1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to build pc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by leopreponderance, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leopreponderance

leopreponderance Thread Starter

Hi, all

I'm in the process of building a new computer.It has been almost 3 weeks of hell.Ordering parts,putting everything together and having to replace parts.Now I'm having another problem.

Ok this is what happened.

1.I installed the new psu unit
    2.The pc (of course) didn't come on
    3.I checked to make sure the 24 pin and the P4 12V 4 pin connector was fitted properly on the mobo.
    4.I pushed the 24 connector in and it came on (as long as I kept holding it) I pushed it in harder and it powered everything up.Except the power button doesn't work,the switch on the back of th psu doesn't work,the monitor doesn't come on and the only way to get the pc to turn off,is to unplug it.

5.I take out the P4 12v 4 Pin connector and when I pushed the power button the pc came on,but it won't shut off unless I unplug it and the monitor still doesn't come on.

So far I think I have spent $488.92 on trying to make this work.I don't even know what exactly needs to be replaced and if newegg will send me replacement parts.I'm extremely pissed right now.I attached photos of what it looks like in the tower.

Attached Files:

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, have you read and followed the guide at the top of the forum for problem builds?

Next we have no idea what we are working on; you need to post your exact parts ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, the exact cpu installed [note there are often multiple cpus with the same designator ie intel 8400 or whatever post what stepping you have ie C2, C3, etc] what video card is installed, etc, etc. Post links to your parts if possible.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I doubt the parts were defective when you received them. In all the years I have been building systems and using newegg, I have received exactly 1 DOA mb. It can happen however it is much more likely that you damaged the parts installing OR you have incompatible parts ie mb does not support the cpu you installed, etc. This is why we need the exact parts you used.

4. leopreponderance

Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Processor
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

MOBO
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138198

Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817338013

GPU
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB

Let it be known that I never said I was positive that newegg sent me a DOA product...Everything seemed to work properly b4 because I was using a different psu.I had to order an extension,but when I would connect the extension,the pc wouldn't come on.THe only way it would come on,is when I took the psu out of the case and just connected it to the motherboard.Only problem I was having was windows failing to start.Then suddenly the pc stopped cutting on all together.So I ordered a new psu (one listed) and that is when it started.Me personally I believe it to be a short in the mobo,but I want to be sure.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not answered if you followed the guide. I will be out for a while and will check compatibility later.

6. leopreponderance

I'll go through the guide in the meantime.

7. stretch1967

stretch1967

on the back of the psu is the voltage switch set correctly at 115 and not 230 volts

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

If your graphics card has six pin power connectors, did you connect power to them? I am also concerned if the switch on the back of the power supply (the one labeled '0' and '1') doesn't turn off power, you could have a defective power supply.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Windows is NOT going to start when you install a new board [unless you follow a procedure outlined at the top of the forum]
    Next when you used an extension for the atx pw connector, you may have damaged the board OR all of the plugging/unplugging, etc.

In any case follow the guide and post back whether or not you were able to get the board to post.

BTW looks like your parts should be compatible. Athena pw supplies are not recommended however it may or may not be causing this issue.

10. leopreponderance

I took everything out of the case (motherboard,psu,videocard and ram)

I connected everything on some cardboard(to see if possibly 1 of the standoffs were shorting the mobo)

I used my presumed dead old psu and everything came on EXCEPT there was no display on the monitor.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you follow the guide, the next step is to swap in known good parts ie cpu, pw supply, ram, video card. If you want to find the cause of your problem, you need to test in a systematic manner ie follow a set standard of tasks.

If you do not have known good parts to swap in, then take your parts to a shop [real repair shop NOT best buy, etc] and have them test and assemble the system for you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice