1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to building a PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dameat, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dameat

dameat Thread Starter

I am putting PC together and would like some input. The items I am thinking about are below. Can someone let me know if this is good or not. The total cost is $605.00. I am very open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you.

Motherboard
    ASUS "A7V880" VIA KT880 Chipset Motherboard

Processor
    AMD Athlon XP 2700+, 333MHz FSB, 256K Cache

Memory
    Apacer 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-2700

Video Card
    Chaintech XGI VOLARI V3 Video Card, 128MB DDR, TV-Out+DVI, 8X AGP Model "SLV3-128"

Hard Drive
    Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model 6E040L0

CD/DVD Burners
    BenQ 16x DVD-/+RW Drive with Software, 2.4X Dual Layer Black Model DW1620
    Samsung Black 52X32X52X16 DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, Model TS-H492A/WBGH

Case
    A-Top XBlade Black/Silver Ultimate Gaming Machine With 450W PSU & Side window, Model
    "AT859A-BK

2. cheese

cheese

For 600 you can do better than the 2700+. The 2500+ has more cache. Ive never heard of that type of video card. Personally...i think you can do better for 600. I built mine in profile for a total of 475 minus video card.

3. brite750

brite750

Kinda agree with cheese, you should get a barton core not t-bred, and i would stick to an ATI or nvidia based card, i bought a MX4400-64 card for $20, which even plays Doom3 on medium settings with descent fps, if you care about that sort of thing.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-418&depa=1

i'm not seeing 2500+ at newegg for some reason

4. brite750

brite750

Also very worried about psu, the decription shows it as a generic no-name power supply, not a godd idea, should get Antec, Enlight , Coolmax, Sparkle

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you're into games you need a NVIDIA or ATI based video card. These are the most supported chipsets on the market.

Where are you getting that price? It seems to me like you may be able to get a better deal at other sites.

6. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

I feel you can get more, and better.

in fact, I configured this over at cyberpowerinc.com

Turbo X-Infinity 420W Case (GREEN)
    AMD Athlon XP-2500+ Processor (512K L2 CACHE)
    ABit NF7-S2 NFORCE2 Ultra DDR400 SATA MB w/ LAN, USB2.0, & Audio
    512MB (256MBx2) PC3200 DDR400 Dual Channel (Major_Brand)
    160GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE -- Recommended
    ATI RADEON 9600 XT 128MB DDR AGP 8X W/ TV-OUT & DVI
    LG DVD+/-RW/CDRW DRIVE (GREEN)
    3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

Price: $614.00

OC the Barton by upping the FSB.

Notice the 160gig drive, the DVD+/-RW, the 9600XT

7. dameat

dameat Thread Starter

Is Abit a good MoBo?

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Very good.. But, after reading the review over here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=41&num=1

I'd say pay the few extra dollars for the Abit NF7-S instead of the NF7-S2. The onboard soundstorm is worth it.

My bad.. I'm running a NF7-S now.. I was trying to match the price of the first system you quoted as close as possible. :)

9. kiregar

kiregar

dameat

I agree with gotrootdude's suggestion of the system he configured. When it comes to computers, espescially the hardware aspect of it, get the best that you can afford so you don't have to upgrade for a while. At least that's my opinion. Also, you don't have to get a pre-modded case. That might save you some money as well. Case mods are simple and easy to accomplish with regular tools that you probably have or have access to. Plus, you have the enjoyment of creating something with your own two hands and nobody will have the same exact thing that you do because it's your own creation. Like I said, gotrootdude's suggestion is a better route for you to go. Also think about the non-modded case instead of a pre-modded one, might save you a couple of bucks and it will give you a little project you can have fun with in the process :D

Good Luck, kiregar

10. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Actually, I picked that case because I'm using the same one (mine's red) and I'm impressed with it's automotive paint job, heavy construction, and quality, and the fact that the Power Supply is a 420watt decent one. I'm not to sure about the other ones..

It's a pain to get a case with a subpar power supply.

( I did replace the blue case fans it came with for red ones, and the fan grills for custom dragon grills, it's looks better..)

11. kiregar

kiregar

There's nothing wrong with the case you selected, and I wouldn't recommend for anyone to buy a cheap PSU. I was just hinting at the idea that he may want to get a "unmodded" case which may save him a few bucks that he could put towards other things.

kiregar

12. dameat

dameat Thread Starter

Is this better?

Turbo X-Infinity 420W Case (BLUE)
    AMD Athlon XP-2500+ Processor (512K L2 CACHE)
    ASUS A7N8X-E DELUXE nVidia nForce-2 ULTRA 400FSB SATA AGP8X W/ USB2, LAN, IEEE, & AUDIO
    512MB (256MBx2) PC3200 DDR400 Dual Channel
    MAXTOR 40GB 7200 RPM ATA 133 HARD DRIVE
    ATI RADEON 9250 8X AGP 128MB DDR W/ CRT & TV-OUT
    SONY 16X DVD-ROM (BLUE)
    SONY CDRW 52X32X52 EIDE (BLUE)
    3D WAVE ON-BOARD 5.1 SOUND CARD

13. StarFox

StarFox

i agree, you could get better for 600

14. cheese

cheese

What website/store are you shopping for these at?

15. dameat

dameat Thread Starter

I am looking at www.cyberpowerinc.com at this time. But when I m sure of the parts I might shop around a little.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/296793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice