1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to buy a good gaming laptop...need help!

Discussion in 'Games' started by darkrites668, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkrites668

darkrites668 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm trying to find a laptop that is reasonably priced, but a good gaming machine. also, is the RADEON™ 7000 IGP graphics chipset any good? Ive been looking at the Satellite A60-S1691ST from toshiba, since my old laptop died..

2. McTimson

McTimson

Laptops and games weren't meant for each other...for one thing, most integrated graphics solutions aren't powerful enough for most games, and when they are, they make so much heat combined with the processor that the laptop just overheats and shuts off.

What games are you trying to play? If you want to play stuff like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 on a laptop, then I seriously suggest you consider getting a desktop computer.

I'm not up on my laptop chipsets, but I would assume that the Radeon 7000 chipset is at about the same level performance-wise as the Radeon 7000 video card...in which case, no, it's not good for a gaming machine that will play new games. If you want to play older games, then yes, it'll be decent.

3. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Do you have a maximum amount that you cannot exceed?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I agree with McTimson. Laptops are not meant for gaming. I have seen issues with the Raedon IGP and newer games so really I wouldn't waste your time. Laptops are more for business / student (as in actual coursework :)) than gaming. In any case where are you going to be when you are playing games? Probably in one location right? You might as well spend half the cost of the laptop by getting a desktop. My rig cost me 550 inc delivery (not including monitor though)

5. darkrites668

im not talking about very powerful games...stuff like priston tale, and infantry from sony station mainly

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I'm sorry i don't know those games. But if they are not graphically intensive, then it should be ok. You should make you have the maximum RAM available though, because the system will take between 64Mb to 128Mb of your physical RAM.

7. beanmaster1

beanmaster1

If your budget is big enough, go for a Acer, Alienware or Dell gaming series laptop. The Acer already has PCIe, and has fantastic radeon 9700s systems for about 1.5 - 2K. The graphics card on both the Alienware and Dell can be upgraded.

8. Servant of Eru

Servant of Eru

Voodoo's better than Alienware, and makes pretty laptops anyway. Their support is better as well. However I'd still go for a better desktop that's upgradeable for gaming, and a barebones laptop for work as has been suggested. You'll probably end up saving money too. ;)

9. tajaemax

tajaemax

Voodoo or Falcon Northwest

They are expensive, but "cheap gaming laptop" is still an oxymoron at this point.

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Gaming and laptop is an oxymoron. Actually I read just the other day that ATI was preparing to ship some sort of mobile X800 card. I'd imagine if you had enough spare batteries it should game fine when it hits.

11. Forastero

Forastero

You guys think a game like: Age of Empires II; Conqueros requires a lot of computer capacity?

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Not really, the game is about 10 years old. The third AoE however will be

13. darkrites668

Ok...I got a new laptop :) its a HP pavilion zv5405us :) its so much better then my old laptop! im happy now :)

14. Forastero

Forastero

I hope I won't need a $2,000 laptop to play AoE III :(

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You just may need to :) The graphics looks intense on it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice