1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to calculate space on HD...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Y4J, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

When I go to my C: drive on my laptop, it shows that I have a 28 gigs total on it. I had about 23-25 gigs free. Well I decided to install a game called "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" and that takes about 4-5 gigs. I had plently of space on the HD for it so I installed it. Well, it turns out the game didn't do too well on my laptop, and I read a lot of people had that problem, even with HIGH performance PCs. But anyways..

Before I uninstalled it, I looked and I had 20 gigs left on my HD. Sounded right to me. Well I uninstalled the game, and it was successful, but when I looked at my space available it had 22 gigs available. Basically saying the uninstall only took a little over 2 gigs out. How could a 3.5 gig game be uninstalled only to take 2.5 gigs out?

Can someone tell me what happened?

Before you do, let me ask you this.

I'm also gonna take it as me not paying attention to how much space I had in the first place, so I am through all my things and calculating manually how much space I am using. WHat I wanted to know, since Windows XP takes about 2 gigs of space, do I calculate that with the 28 gigs, ( like saying windows is using 2 gigs out of that 28) or is my HD infact 30 gigs and its already taking it away, hense it showing 28 gigs?

Can you help me with both these problems?

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

When you right click on c: drive in my computer it show disk capacity used space and free space.:) When you uninstalled the game did you use the uninstall utillity with the game or did you go into add and remove programs.

3. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

I know that. BUt like I said in my previous post, I am calulating it manually to find out if it it didnt take off all the stuff, or I am infact using that space.

I used the uninstall it gave me, and its no longer in add/remove section either.

BUt going back to my other post, can you helpme now?

4. A Hawk

A Hawk

I know what your saying. I think what you said is correct you actually have a 30g HD windoze has used 2g which brings it back to 28g, your making me really think now:D lol.
    To reclaim the 3.5g that the game stole you'll need to search for files and folders with the search tool. Once you've found them and deleted them do a disk cleanup and then defrag and see how much free space you have. When you do the search make sure you check the show hidden / show all files option.:)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you calculating the space used by system restore as well? When you install software / hardware xp will make a new restore point; then when you uninstalled it probably made another restore point. During the install some .tmp files may have been created; those will need to be deleted as well. In addition when you uninstall an app or game quite often the files that were written to the windows or windows/system32 folder are not removed. Sometimes shared .dll files are not removed via the uninstall utility.

6. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

How do I search? Do I go regedit? And if I do, can you take me on a little step by step thing?

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all download this cleaning utility. I install this on all of my builds. Run it after you set it to clean what you want. When you are done, go to disk cleanup>more options. Have disk cleanup delete all except the last restore point.
    When finished with that go to Start>Search>files and folders. Search for *.tmp and delete all that you find. Run defrag when you are finished with everything and you should have most of your space back. Installing and uninstalling apps / games almost always leaves behind some file remnants.

8. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

What is that gonna do, does it delete whats after or before or what.

Just not sure what its saying its gonna do

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not understand your question. Are you referring to the app I gave you the link to? It will delete whatever you set it to delete when you configure it.

The *.tmp means ¬ďAll temp files or all files with the tmp extension. Delete whatever search finds. Temp files are created for many reasons one of which is during an install of an app or game.

10. Y4J

Y4J Thread Starter

"Have disk cleanup delete all except the last restore point. "

What exactly will that do?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

XP makes restore points; at least one per day. More when you install apps / games that affect system files, drivers, services, etc. These restore points take up disk space [quite a bit] On the disk cleanup one of the tabs is "More options" under that is the option to delete all except the last restore point. It can free up more than a little disk space.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice