Trying to clean up a Sony Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flags

A friend of mine handed me this laptop saying, 'It's slow and full of malware, see what you can do'.
I cannot get into Windows XP. I get as far as the Welcome screen and log on.
When I log on I eventually get some Green Windows Logo. I can hear the sound scheme indicating that I'm into Windows, but there is no desktop, icons , Start bar, etc. If I wait about 15 minutes, I get a screensaver-Flying thru Space. I touch a key and I'm right back to the Green Logo again.
I would like to get into Safe Mode and run his AVG, at least.
I have searched this forum but can't find anything helpful.
I have AVG's rescue disks from my computer and I think I can use them on this machine.

This is a Sony Vaio model PCG-FX340 W/ Windows XP128 mgs Ram, 40 gig HDD, Pentium 3.
Please help me fix this bugger.

Does not pressing F8 during boot up provide you the Boot menu?

Make sure not to depress F8 until after the hardware is listed.

Also when your on the screen with nothing try a ctrl+alt+del and then go to processes and kill explorer.exe and then rerun explorer.exe someteims it hangs on a blank screen because something has hung this process. of course then run 10 tons of anti-spyware software on it once you have it at least operable.

Flags

Thanks for the prompt replies, guys.
Stumped: How do I rerun explorer.exe?

Flags

OK, F8 got me into Safe Mode, but nothing loaded. I'm looking at a screen that says Safe Mode on 2 corners with Microsoft (R) Windows XP (R) Build 2600 in between.
There is no HDD activity so I guess i"m not going to ger any desktop to work with.

Flags

I also have an option to try Last Known Good Configuration. Should I try that?

Flags

Well, I tried Last Known and after a long wait I got the Welcome screen-waited some more and finally got that Green XP splash screen.
That's where it is now.
Control Alt Delete Processs tab has no Explorer.exe. File New Task (Run) Typed in explorer.exe and restarted.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Flags

Well, that didn't work. I'm back to the Green splash screen again. Dang!!!!

Okay control+alt+del and choose task manager. On the tabs listed one is processes click on it and scan the processes and highlight explorer.exe and hit the end task button on the bottom right. Repeat this step as many times as it takes for it to be 100% gone from the task list. Then go up to the top right of the task manager and go to File/New Task (run) in there type explorer.exe and click okay.

Flags

Stumped: I did as you said and when I typed in explorer.exe, clicked OK no explorer.exe showed up. I also, in Safe mode clicked No and got to the System Restore page. The only Restore points there were todays and October 28 2004.
I tried twice to restore to the Oct. date but failed.
However, the Start Bar did flash up twice for me but not long enough to do anything with it.
I also went to each side of the screen and tried to drag the start bar up, down or sideways incase it is hidden. The Windows key soes not bring it up either.
I'm beginning to think that maybe that Green Logo is his desktop wallpaper but I
can't think of a way to get the Start bar up.

Flags

Well, I decided to use the Recovery Console to fix this thing. Wish me luck.

Good luck - just an FYI explorer.exe is what makes the desktop icons appeart and the start bar appear. What happens is sometimes this gets hung by malware or other programs and this can cause everything but the background to not load.

Exact symptoms here just sorry to hear killing it and restarting it did not bring back the bar.

Good luck on the restore though should go smoothly.

Flags

Stumped: I'm sorry to report that Recovery console did not fix the problem. I tried The Repair option and that failed too, although Repair showed that the onboard Video, Sound and Mouse hardware/drivers were not supported by XP. I think I got updated drivers for those items but still no Desktop.
I have to figure out how to get explorer.exe into Task Manager but, for the life of me, I have no clue as to how that is done.
Thank you for your help. My friend is going to be dissappointed.
I hope you and the other gurus on this forum realize how much your willingness to share your expertise means to us out here in Cyberland.
Thanks again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online