1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to clone my desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ryanjoachim, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim Thread Starter

I have a 65" Mitsubishi DLP that I want to use as another monitor.
    I don't want the extended desktop, because I want to be able to play games without having to go through the hassle of switching main displays and whatnot.

Is it possible to have my 19" lcd be at 1680x1050 and my TV be at 1920x1080 with the SAME desktops?
    Meaning, what I see on one screen I see on the other?

I can almost do this right now with the nVidia desktop control software...but it forces the TV to be the same resolution as the lcd...

Also, when I try to set them up as dual-monitors the screen on the TV is always cut off...like the resolution is too big to fit all the icons onto the screen. When I open the start menu, it shows up on the TV with the bottom 1/4 missing.

Any ideas would be a great help!

Oh, and I'm using an 8800GTS 640mb card. Also using a DVI-HDMI cable to go from the comp to my receiver (Onkyo 605)

2. crazlunatic

crazlunatic

I don't have 2 monitors right now because I sold one, but this is very possible. The setting can be done directly in Windows Vista without any software required.

3. ryanjoachim

that's what I thought, but I can't seem to get it to work...is there a step-by-step process I can look at? Make sure I didn't do anything wrong?

4. ryanjoachim

5. ryanjoachim

Guess not

6. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You are using the latest drivers and Nvidia control center management software to try and set this up? The only thing I have that's different is a 8800GT 512MB and I use a VGA to VGA (my HDMI from comp seems to be limited to 1024x768) connection to the TV. I had a lot of similar problems in the past with other less capable video cards but the 8800GT finally solved everything and I run 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 perfectly all the time now.

You're going through an extra resource management box before it goes to the TV? If you have the VGA or DVI direct option, try that.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice