1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to connect hp b209 wireless printer, laptop & iPhone to Belkin router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PiperVice, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PiperVice

PiperVice Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm having quite a headache with my current components. I have a home Sony VAIO Computer running XP Media Center Edition, Belkin Wireless N Router, HP B209 Wireless printer, 1 year old Lenovo laptop, and an iPhone 4s.

I can't make them all play together.

I noticed yesterday that my iPhone hadn't been connecting to the WiFi for several days, so I tried to see what might be going on. I tried to force pair the iPhone by turning off Data Connection, which usually forces the WiFi, which it did, but then when I went to a webpage it wouldn't load even though wifi was showing full signals.

I then booted up my lenovo laptop, and it connected to the internet and worked like a charm. Then my iPhone4s started working again. Awesome!

I couldn't leave well enough alone.

Why not now finally set up the wireless aspects of my HP B209 that I've never used, so I can print from my laptop wirelessly, which I've always wanted to do.

So I was able to setup the printer after adding the MAC address of the printer to my belkin router by going to the IP address for the router and adding that specific address, I changed NOTHING ELSE.

Wirelessly printed from my home computer to do the first test, worked. Awesome!

uh oh...

Internet on laptop not working now. It shows my wireless network with full bars in range, but when I go to connect it simply says it cannot connect, right away. I check my phone, wireless GONE again! I tried to force pair the phone, no dice. I "forget the network" on my phone, it still shows available, I connect put in my password and it immediately denies me, I tried un-plugging the router, restarting all computers, un-plugging router -and- restaring all computers, turning off the printer, repeating all previous steps, and finally I went and deleted the MAC address I added to the router, and all of the above did nothing to fix the solution.

Anyone have any idea of what's going on? If I was a gambling man I'd say it seems like the password for my wireless router has changed and is denying all my devices, but... I did go into the wireless router settings one more time and type in the password I've always used and re-saved it, and tried connecting to no avail.

Please let me know what information you need and I will do my best to provide. Thank you for your assistance!

2. PiperVice

PiperVice Thread Starter

One last note, Internet for my main home PC which is not using the wireless, but gets the singal from the ethernet connection running through the router, was working FLAWLESS the whole time and had connectivity to the internet.

At one point, I did have a strange thing happen though where when I opened Internet Explorer it immediately would close before loading anything. I was able to open Firefox with no problem and connect to the internet on my home PC (again not wireless) I looked that up on another forum it seemed like somehow internet explorer was corrupted, so I reset the internet explorer settings, and that worked again.

So basically, my home hardwired internet worked the entire time, it's just that I was already having some connectivity issues with my router, got that fixed, added the wireless printer, and then everything went bananas.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you using some kind of MAC Address filtering on the router? If so, disable it.

4. PiperVice

PiperVice Thread Starter

Thanks TerryNet. I'll try that when I get home tonight and see if that works. Thank you for your advice. Just one quick question if you have time to respond. Disabling MAC address filtering won't mess up anything else I currently/previously connect to the wireless router, right?

I also have TiVo and a Nintendo Wii that use the WiFi in my home, I just want to make sure I don't mess up their connectivity if I dissable MAC address filtering. Thanks!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Disabling MAC Address filtering should do nothing but make your wireless network easier for you to use. For security use WPA(2) encryption.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088310

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice