1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to connect laptop to modem/ router via ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Tinkerbell33, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tinkerbell33

Tinkerbell33 Thread Starter

I recently got DSL and I was having issues getting connected , so Verizon came and set up their modem but could not figure out how to connect the DSL to my laptop via Ethernet.We are only able to connect to wireless, and we want to use the high speed internet but we cannot figure out how to do this. The Verizon tech said that are Ethernet card may be disabled but I am not sure. I have read other threads regarding issues like mine and I went ahead and followed the instructions so I could paste the results I received form holding the WINDOWS key and pressing R, so here it goes. Please help! Thank you!

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank>IPCONFIG/ALL

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Orlandos
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-7C-C6-A4
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.109
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.75.194
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, February 06, 2009 2:51:51 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 07, 2009 2:51:51
    AM

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont
    roller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-BC-27-90

C:\Documents and Settings\Frank>

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Can you post the same information with a known good cable connected to a known working Ethernet port on the router? Have you tested the wired connection for the laptop in another location? Have you tested the Ethernet port and cable on your router with another computer?

3. Tinkerbell33

I have not tested it on my desktop computer. I will do the following and get back to you. Thank you!

4. Tinkerbell33

Sorry it took so long. I got a new laptop and I am not having trouble with the hooking up to my router but I do need help with something else. I want to make my network private but I do not know how. Everything I read on the Web sounds so confusing. Is this something you can help me with? Thank you!

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

If by "private",you mean setting up an encrypted home network,that is generally done at the router level.
    You have not told us make and model of the router but,in general,you log onto your routers admin page,got to the wireless security section and set up encryption.You will have a number of choices(wep/wpa/etc)Wpa is the preferred solution if all of your attached devices will support it.
    Your routers users manual should lead you through this process,step by step.
    Hope this helps.

6. JohnWill

Maybe my basic "information" packet would help here. :)

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
    Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
    Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
    Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
    Connection type, wired or wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
    The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

• If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
    • For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
    • Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
    • If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

7. Tinkerbell33

My ISP is Verizon
    Modem and router are together, the name and model number is Westell Versalink 327W

Wired and wireless

No encryption

Windows Vista Home Service Pack 1

Browser is Internet Explorer

My issue is that I am able to connect to my network whne I am wired but I cannot connect to it when I am not wired, and I am also trying to setup an encrypted home network, and I do not know how. I do not have the manual to my modem/router because we have had it for quite sometime and my husband does not know where he put it. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Looks like the Quick Start Guide is available online in PDF format from Verizon. LINK

The full manual is available from Westell. LINK.

9. Tinkerbell33

Thank yor for the link for the Westell manual. I have read it and I am still not sure what I need to do.

10. JohnWill

You got a User Guide with the router from Verizon, or a link was provided above..

Look at page 65.

I recommend wireless security be set to WPA-PSK and you use a 20 character passcode comprised of numbers and letters both upper and lower case.

11. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Checked through the manual. Basic wireless setup is covered on pages 60 to 67. If you can, print these pages so you can use them for reference when actually setting up the wireless.
    If the wireless indicator light shows green on the router, your wireless is already turned on and working. If not, you can turn it on when you access the router configuration pages..

To access the router from the wired computer, open your browser and type either http//dslrouter or http//192.168.1.1 in the address bar and hit enter.
    This should take you to the router home page.
    Once there click on Configuration, then Wireless, then Basic.
    On this screen.
    Wireless Operation: Should be enabled
    Network Name (SSID): Default is serial number of router. You should change this to something distinctive to make it easier to identify your network. I use BigRedOne. May also need to enter the SSID into your wireless adaptor settings.
    Channel: Default is 6, but you can also change this if needed.
    Mode: Mixed
    X4: Disabled
    Hide SSID: Disabled. Normally the router broadcasts its SSID so any one can it. Once your connection to your laptop is established, you can turn this off as a security measure. If they can't see you, they can't hack you.
    Click Save and OK on the popup screen. Wireless indicator light should be green.

Security is supposed to be off by default, but you may want to click on Security to make sure it is disabled. Makes in easier to do intial setup.

Turn on your laptop. Turn on wireles if not already on. Right click on wireless icon and click on View Avalible Wireless Networks. Click on your network in the list to highlight, then click connect. You should be connected. Try surfing.

Security is acomplished by entering an encryption key in the router. This key must then be entered into the comuters using the network. Pages 63 - 65 covers this. Type of encryption and code must be the same for the router and computers.

Hope this helps.

JohnWill is right about the WPA-PSK encryption and code if the router will do it. WEP should only be used if your network has older machines runnig 95, 98FE, 98SE, or ME since they cannot handle WAP.

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I actually found an XP laptop a couple of years back that had an internal network card that could not handle WPA, so was forced to configure that network to WEP, but that was unusual.

I installed a new modem/router/wireless (Westell 7500) from Verizon this past week, replacing an older modem/router and wireless router pair (Westell 6100F & D-Link DI-624). I configured it with WPA2/WPA PSK-TKIP with the SSID hidden and changed the administrative userid and password.

Also, under the Firewall Settings in the router configuration, change the security from the default of None to Minimum (Low).

I also recommend a long mixed case/mixed alphanumeric passkey that has no meaning in wriiten or spoken language.

13. Tinkerbell33

Thanks to all of you for your help. I will try it out and hopefully I will not run into any problems. I will reply back when done. Thanks again to everyone!

14. Tinkerbell33

I am confused. It tells me that "If you are connecting to VersaLink via a wireless network adapter, the service set ID (SSID) must be
    the same for both the Westell VersaLink and your PC’s wireless network adapter". I know my SSID but I am not sure how to do this on my laptop without screwing things up.
    Please help!

15. JohnWill

You simply search for wireless networks, the SSID will take care of itself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/798008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice