1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to connect laptop to router via Ethernet cable!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rivka777, Feb 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rivka777

Rivka777 Thread Starter

Hi, all

I really hope someone can help me with this before my head implodes. I've had dial-up for years but AOL said they could give me a broadband-quality internet service with a Speedtouch wireless router and an ethernet cable. They sent the equipment through, I set it up on one laptop at home and it worked fine - miraculous, in fact, really fast. So then I tried to set it up on my partner's laptop. Ran the installation software, and it got to the point where you connect the laptop (an Advent) to the router, and it said it couldn't connect. The ethernet cable was securely plugged in at both ends but no ethernet light was displaying on the router. I called AOL and they went through everything - the laptop has an ethernet card and the [netware??? - sorry, I really am a total beginner] seemed OK, ie didn't have any little crosses or question marks beside it when we looked at in in "systems information". So the AOL guy said I might need a new ethernet card. But I don't see how that's the problem, if there's already one in there and it seems to be functional!

I'll probably go try to buy an ethernet card but this has already cost me quite a bit (mostly in phone calls to AOL) and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, or can confirm that buying the new card is my best option.

I really appreciate any help you can give :)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Let's see this with the machine plugged into the router. Please make SURE you have a good cable, and if you get no lights on the jacks, try a different router port as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Are you using the same Ethernet cable and jack on the router when testing both computers? Does your partner's laptop have any indicator lights on its Ethernet jack?

4. Rivka777

Rivka777 Thread Starter

You're going to love this. I don't know what a jack is. :eek::eek::eek: I get lights on the router itself - the little indicator lights on the front. So far the Ethernet light has never lit up when I tried to connect it to my partner's laptop, though it was fine with mine. I will do the command prompt thingie when I get five minutes. I am pretty sure my cable is good - it works with my laptop, anyway.

The :eek::eek::eek: factor gets worse. I bought a cardbus last night, somehow expecting the guy in the shop to know the offending laptop had no slot for it. Which was a bit much, considering I didn't realise myself until I got the thing home.

Thanks for your time, guys! Hope you don't feel you're wasting it on thickness past redemption.

Riv

5. Rivka777

Rivka777 Thread Starter

OK, here is the information I got after doing the command thing. It says my IP routing isn't enabled! That can't be good, can it? I tried using "Help" to work out how to enable it, and the little box beside the network connection icon was already ticked. I'm at a loss! It's a pain, because we've been stuck with dial-up for so long now, and this ethernet thing looks like a miracle. At least on *my* laptop! All help appreciated.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : JayeMorgan
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit E
    thernet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-21-05-59-AC

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54M
    bps USB 2.0 Network Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-AF-0A-45-78

C:\Documents and Settings\Jaye>

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

IP Routing should not be disabled, that's actually correct.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Post another IPCONFIG /ALL with the cable connected.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/679766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice