1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to connect to gf's router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by frobro, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

I just came into town and brought my moms laptop which has a realtek wireles card. it's using windows 2000 i believe, but i cant find anywhere to connect to the internet. They have a password protected router, but i see nothing on the laptop that indicates anywhere i can connect to any network. Is there a program i need to install that will detect networks so i can connect? Thanks in advance.

-Frobro

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

The Realtek Wireless card should have come with a Wireless Client Manager. You will need to use that to scan for networks and connect to it. Would help if they could tell you what the SSID is as well.

3. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

i am out of town and do not have the cd that came with the card. The card is a twinmos octopus b series, 2.4 ghz 11 mbps wireless pc card. For some reason when i try to open the utility on the laptop some error comes up, most likely i would need to reinstal the wlan monitor utility. Wondering if there is anywhere i would be able to d/l it or a program i can use instead of that. Any help would be apperciated, thanks.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is the wireless switched ON - make model of laptop - some have a physical switch

start>
    control panel>
    system>
    hardware tab>
    device manager button>

network adapters
    click on the + sign

post backs whats there

also any ! X or ?

5. frobro

frobro Thread Starter

dell inspirion 7500
    windows 2000

Eveerything seems to be working fine, there is no on/off switch, and when i am back home i am able to connect to my wireless, though it is not password protected. I believe I am just missing the utility to search for other networks. The cd is at the house and I'm about 200 miles away, so I am not going to get it. If there is no other way to get it then i guess i'll just wait till I go back home =P. Thanks for the help though everyone.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you connec to the router with a cable ?

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well you are gettting online somehow. I would bet you could download it to that computer and put it on a USB thumb drive or burn it to a CD and put it on the other computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538546

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice