1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to connect to my school network using my laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 2talll, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

My laptop has XP Home, and when the computer guy when to put in the networks domain, he said there was no place to put in the domain only a work"group" which wouldn't work.

How do I go about getting it to work? He said there is a network card so it should be able to work, but he's not sure how to do it.

Is it even possible with the Home edition or do I need the Professional edition?
    If it's possible what do we do?

Thanks

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

XP-Home doesn't support domain logins, that's one of the significant differences between XP-Home and XP-Pro.

3. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

So there's no way it'll work without getting pro?

Dumb, question- would XP Pro upgrade my current XP home? Or do I need to get a FULL XP Pro?

4. amnent

amnent

You can buy an upgrade (preferably the academic version, because the cost is significantly less) and install it over the current system or if you have you xp home boot CD, backup the files that you want to save and then do a clean install.

5. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

KNow where I can get the academic version? I found one on Ebay but it says it's not for K-12 teachers so unless I can find an admin or someone to get it for me that wont work.

New question: When I get the Pro version- would installing/upgrading cause me to lose my documents and stuff?

6. amnent

amnent

I don't know how it works in the US, but in Australia most resellers of M$ products sell the academic versons as well. You used to have to produce a student or teachers ID but now it can be sold to anyone as long as it is not used in a comercial environment.

7. amnent

amnent

If you do a clean install you will have to format your hard disk and yes you will lose all your documents and stuff. That is why I advised that you would need to backup all the files that you wish to keep if you go this way. If you upgrade over the current system then you will not lose anything.

The general opinion of people on this site is that a clean install is the best way to go, BUT you WILL need you xp home boot CD to be able to do this. Did your computer come with one?

8. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

I think I have that CD somewhere, but backing up everything is going to be a major pain. Pictures and files won't be too big of a deal using DVD+R's to back them up, but I jsut finished putting over 5000 songs on my laptop because I am getting an Ipod soon and decided to upload the songs over the summer while I had time.

Why is it that everyone suggests doing a clean install rather than just upgrading from my Home to the Pro?

9. amnent

amnent

I didn't say everyone, just that the general opinion is that a clean install is better.
    The reasons are that Windows over a period of time creates/collects files etc for its use, fragments files, places entries in the registry and so on. Upgrading just adds to these things whereas a clean install will load everything from scratch.

10. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

OK, if that's the only real reason I guess it's not that big of a deal. I can't even imagine how many DVD+Rs it would take to burn 5000+ songs and I definitely don't have the time to do that right now.

11. DVOM

DVOM

2talll, if the seller on EBay will sell it to you go for it.

As far as upgrading vs. clean install, I'd just make sure you're clean of any spyware first. Then go ahead and upgrade.

BTW, you should be able to get 850 mp3's on a DVD so about 6 DVD's ought to do it.

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

Are ya'll sure you can upgrade to XP Pro from XP Home ?. . I do not recall seeing that as a valid upgrade path . .

wrs

13. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

DVOM, I'm using three different spyware programs so I'll be sure to run each before I do it. The guy on Ebay said he'd sell it to me, but I've emailed 3 people I work with to see if any of them have a copy I could use before I buy a copy.

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

before you go wastin money and nuking, i'm gonna direct us back to the start of the problem. tell me what network interfaces you are using and the type of network at your work. there are so many networking loopholes and tips that will probably allow you to avoid things like that. Further information about what you will be connecting with and to will help me fix the heart of the problem. (as the title states)

15. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

iXnenoXi,
    I just emailed the computer guy that tried to connect it- I was in the middle of teaching a class when he came to do it so all I know is he said when he tried to put in the domain the feature wasn't available. As soon as I hear back from him I'll post the info he gives me. Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273593

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice