1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to connect to wireless WiFi network at work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bevnherbs, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bevnherbs

bevnherbs Thread Starter

I have a new iPhone 4Gs. at work I noticed under available networks that there is one labeled 'Free Public WiFi' but when i try to access this i get no where. no error messages come up or request for password. Mainly I'm trying to use this wifi for FaceTime connect with the iphone. I am told that others try to access this network and can't get to the internet either.
    What could be the problem? the strength is about 50% but even when I walk to an area that is supposedly FULL strength signal it won't work then either. the DHCP address is:169.254.106.123 subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you most likely answered your own question. Others that try to connect can't either. I'd suggest that maybe that free public WiFi isn't working.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd be suspicious of an unknown network labeled 'Free Public WiFi'. Cities, restaurants, libraries, etc., offering such usually have some ID in the name.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/932015

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice