1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to create a PC cleaning guide

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gram123, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Hello folks.
    I am attempting to get together a total PC cleaning guide, primarily for Windows XP, but it may be worth my mentioning any differences for W2000, WME and W98.

Please can you lot have a look through it and let me know if there are any inaccuracies, maybe give me some advice, and especially inform me of any good cleaning info that I am missing.

It's a bit of a hotch-potch of stuff I've seen here and elsewhere on the web, so I realise that it could do with some tidying up.

Also, apologies that it's a bit on the large side...

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Gram

2. Cookies

Cookies

Excellent post! :)

3) Clear Temporary Internet Files and Internet History ... for XP it's open your browser/tools/internet options (general tab)/history/clear history/ok;

open your browser/tools/internet options (general tab)/temporary internet files/delete cookies/ok/ok;

and...open your browser/tools/internet options (general tab)/temporary internet files/delete files/ok/ok

8) Have xp folks check "services.msc" from the command line. Many services can be disabled and improve startup for these folks. Make sure they pick the "safe column" unless they like running with scissors :)

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Should take about 10 mins to config & reboot (create a restore point first).

PS: 13) AVG still has a freebie version -- not just 30 days here:

http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

PSS: Maybe the system file checker is worth mentioning??

G.

3. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

Thanks Cookie, I forgot about checking the tweaking sites like Black Viper and TweakXP.
    I'll check 'em out when I get home...

Good that AVG still does a free AV.

As for the System File Checker, I did mention breifly it in no 7), I'll go into more detail in the final version of my guide.

Cheers Lady!

Gram

4. Cookies

Cookies

Pst! Keep up the great work :)

5. bluecast

bluecast

BTW, for me, it's

ID: driver
    PW: all

not drivers.. :p

6. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

bluecast - I checked and both 'driver' and 'drivers' work at the Driver Guide site. I'll amend the guide to include both options.

Does anyone know of a resource that tells you which files in the "Downloaded Program Files" (i.e. START - Settings - Control Panel - Internet Options - Settings - View Objects) can be removed?

As I understand it this is where ActiveX and Java appelets are stored, and it's useful to keep hold of some (such as the file from PC Pitstop, Flash etc), but not others (diallers and such).
    I could do with a searchable list similar to the Startup files list at Pacs Portal, although I realise some of the objects in this folder may be have names that are just series of numbers and letters.

Perhaps there's a list showing safe vs unsafe code bases?

Cheers
    Gram

7. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

8. tim973

tim973

9. dwaynea515

dwaynea515

here are two very good , free, useful tools I use
    http://www.regvac.com/

Go to www.x9000.net. Don't be fooled by the name.
    Direct download for Xen: www.x9000.net/downloads/xen.zip

3) UnZip the Xen file and extract every file from Xen.zip into the Xen folder.

4) Open the Xen folder and click on Xen.bat file.

5) A program should pop-up. Just wait, it takes a second to get running sometimes, since it has to figure out your system information.
    6) Just play around with it, press "b" to delete all temp and internet files and "c" to delete all cookies. I am really happy with the program. Remeber, pressing "x" on the keyboard exits the program.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It does not appear to scan email, making it a poor choice.

11. Gram123

Gram123 Thread Starter

OK, I've taken on board what you guys have said and also scouted some of the Tweak sites for a few additional bits.

Are there any other recommendations for cleaning and speeding up a PC (esp Windows XP) that are 'safe' and reliable for any user?

I don't want to include stuff like disabling screensavers / themes etc as some users will understandably not want this done on their machines.

Also, I'm not after recommendations of programs that allegedly speed up internet connection etc, unless they do actually work! Oh, and any recommended programs should be free!!

Cheers

Gram

12. kath100

kath100

Save disk space by removing all but the most recent restore point.
    Navigate to
    Start
    Control Panel
    Performance and Maintenance
    Free up space on your hard disk
    c:\
    OK
    click the "more options " tab
    At the bottom of the window is "system restore"
    click "clean up"
    This will remove all but the most recent restore point

13. pinger

pinger

You forgot to include Soap and Water.... just kidding good post.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163411

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice