1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to decide between nvidia 7600gt or ATI x1800GTO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AhrenBa, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I am looking at either getting an nvidia 7600gt or ATI x1800GTO graphics card for my computer. I have been looking at benchmarks and reviews all over the net and still can't decide.

What would you guys recommend and why? Is ATI or nvidia generally better?

Feel free to suggest other cards also.

2. seekermeister

seekermeister

I have a strong bias toward Nvidia. The only times that I tried ATI, I had problems with them. Just in case you use Linux, you need Nvidia.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I would take the nvidia between those two. I run ATI or Nvidia. Right now I am running a set of X1800XT 512's crossfired. I am very happy with them. I was happy with my 6800GT. I was happy with my X800XT.

I have never had a problem with any of them.;) (non fanboy answer huh?)

4. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Lol! Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. Are there any cards where ATI beats out Nvidia? Badly that is.

5. Jones

Jones

I'm the third vote for nVidia. I am with seekermeister on this, as I have a very strong bias towards nVidia as well. I've had a couple of ATI products, and they were a real pain to set up, and the performance didn't come close to what the specs should have provided. Any nVidia product I've ever used has been better than I expected, so nVidia is my brand of choice, hands down.

6. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Cool! How do you feel about the 7600gt? Is it a pretty good card?

7. Jones

Jones

All the reviews I've ever seen from that card are excellent. I don't think you'd regret getting a 7600GT.

8. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Great! That is awesome. I feel really good about getting one now! Should I go with an eVGA or XFX? Thanks.

9. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

What do you guys think.......eVGA or XFX? Thanks

10. Jones

Jones

Both good. I think overall, eVGA has a better following, but I have an XFX card, and have had zero problems. Flip a coin maybe? ;)

If the specs are identical, go for the lowest price. If the price is identical, go for the better specs. :D

11. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

That is very good that they are both good brands! I can't go wrong! lol :)

Anyways, I have been doing some more looking around on NewEgg, and now I stumbled across the 7900GT. I still VERY much like the 7600GT though. Do you think it would be worth it to spend the extra cash on the 7900 or do you think the 7600 will be fine? Thanks

Oh, and how are the cooling on these cards, do you think I will need to get a heatsink/fan or a PCI slot fan?

12. Jones

Jones

Dude, you're killing me! :) Well, the big question is, do you have extra cash you couldn't better spend elsewhere. Both are really good cards, and either one will likely be the last AGP card you ever buy. But naturally the 7900 will be better. No question about it. What is the price difference on the cards you found?

You should be okay with the stock cooling, but more fans are never a bad idea. I bought a Vantec Spectrum fan card to help keep my whole case cool, and it works pretty good. Nice UV lights, too! :)

13. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Lol! Yeah, I don't really have the cash, but I am one of those guys that wants to get the best I can first, so I don't have to worry about it down the road ;). But, btw, these are both PCIe cards. Heres the cards I was looking at, I'll probably just stick with 7600gt. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130283
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130281

Thats cool! Lets see, do they have that cooler on NewEgg? Is it a PCI slot card?

Thanks a ton for your help. I really appreciate it.

14. Jones

Jones

Forgot about that. There's about 8 posts going on right now about video cards, and it's hard to keep each system straight!

There's about $100 difference in the cards, which is a pretty big gap, but not obscene. If you can scrape it together, I'd go for the 7900 and enjoy being poor for a while.

If not, the 7600 will still be wicked good.

Here's the fan card I have:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835888112

It's pretty cheap, looks cool, and works really well.(y)

15. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Cool! Thank you very much for the help. I think I'll probably just stick with the 7600GT (I think I could probably use the cash for something else).

Oh, and btw, nice PC rig you got there. :)(y)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice