1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to decide which web host to use, and a question about server side includes

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by AhrenBa, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am looking at having a website hosted by either 1&1 or GoDaddy and can't decide which is better. Do any of you have any suggestions? What do you guys use?

I don't really need more than the basic 5gb that each offers, but one thing that is holding me from deciding is whether I will need Server Side Includes. Can someone explain to me what these are, what they are used for, and possibly an example? Thank you.

2. Big-K

Big-K

I myself use linux godaddy economy plan. Includes are php code that lets you imbed something into another page. Say you have a main page with the navigation and you want that to be same on every page, you'd make that the index and make includes for everything else. When you click the link to the next page it would imbed that into the index where you tell it to, pretty useful stuff. Google for php includes.

3. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Depends what you're going to use it for. 1&1 support is not all that great, and GoDaddy has a lot of PHP functions disabled.
    You might want to take a look at some other hosts like http://hostgator.com

4. Chroder

Chroder

I would recommend using ASO. They have a great reputation, and I use them myself :) Definately would not recommend using GoDaddy.

5. thecoalman

thecoalman

You'll probably find you'll outgrow the plan quickly, PHP and MySql would be required for example if you wanted to run a forum like this one. They are quite easy to install and most host have an install script in the control panel.

As mentioned the includes are very useful especially for navigation. If you have a part of your page such as the navigation that is going to be the same across the entire website you can include the navigation code into every document from a seperate file. In the event you want to change or add some links to the navigation you only have to edit a single document as opposed to everyone on the site.

I use www.aplus.net , slightly more expensive than most hosts but the service and reliability is outstanding. No point switching to save a few bucks as far as I'm concerned.

6. covert215

covert215 Banned

I recommend hostgator.com and I discourage 1and1.com

With 1and1, you get what you pay for...not much

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!