Trying to delete a .exe file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WarmCurb

I've got a gaim.exe that won't delete. I've tried Safe Mode, Hijack This and CTRL+DEL, but I didn't recognize it in the program files list. How else can I get rid of this file?

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
Do this first then try deleting .....

Click Start.

Open My Computer.

Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.

Select the View Tab.

Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.

Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

Click Yes to confirm.

Click OK.

telecom69

Gone but never forgotten
And if that doesnt work try this that I found in another forum relating to the same problem ...

Re: Undeletable .exe file
« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2005, 6:39pm » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See "Locked Files Wizard":
http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc#CopyLock

Quote:The Locked Files Wizard formerly CopyLock is a simple assistant that allows you to replace, to move, to delete and to rename one or more files or folders which are in use by the system or any other process.

or just below, on that same page, you can get the older "CopyLock":

Quote:CopyLock is a small program that allows replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or virus/trojan files.)

Add the files to update, click Apply, restart and that's it!

You can also list and edit the pending operations from the system after you ran an installer or view the processes which use the locked files.

WarmCurb said:
Excellent suggestion. It appears to be gone, but Google Desktop Search is still picking it up.

Google desktop search does pick it up, because thats how it has indexed your files. Google does not know u have actually deleted the file, all it knows is that you once had it, and it indexed (process of memorising file locations) it. You MUST manually delete the file file from googles index, so google knows its gone, or perform another index search session, and do another google desktop search, i gurantee if have deleted the file propely it will not appear in googles index, if it does that file is still at alrge on your hard drive.

Ok do this, if this does not work, i do not know what will:

Download Moveonboot 1.9.5 http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/bin/moveonb.exe

run and Install the program

Right click the file you want to delete and in the contect emnu there should be an option trhat says "delete files(s) on the next reboot"

Click yes at the prompt, then close

Restart computer, it should be gone now.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online