1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Trying to dual boot, no partitions show

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by helllppppmeeeeeee, Sep 4, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. helllppppmeeeeeee

helllppppmeeeeeee Thread Starter

Hello, I scanned the threads to see if I saw anything similar but I didn't. My apologies if this has been addressed somewhere.

I want to dual boot Debian 10 and Windows 10. Windows 10 is pre-installed on this laptop. I get through the installation process until the partitioning stage of Debian and no partitions show except the USB I'm booting from.

For the USB, I downloaded an amd64 debian dvd iso and then used Rufus to burn it to a USB with GPT partitioning scheme to match what Windows uses. But when that didn't work I did try MBR too, still no dice.

Per a guide I was following, I created unallocated space for the Linux install by shrinking my C: drive. It is my understanding that this should show (it did in the guide) and that is where I can install Debian.

I have since tried re-downloading everything, re-burning onto new USB's, disabling secure boot, turning off Windows hibernation because I read somewhere that may make Linux unable to see the hard drive, I tried installing Ubuntu instead, I even tried to do the Guided partitioning and use the entire disk to scrap Windows completely. Each time I've tried, only the USB shows in the partitioning menu. Any and all help would be super. Thanks for your time

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

The normal cause of the installation drive - the drive on which windows is installed and the partition on that drive to which Linux is to be installed - is that the USB IF MADE correctly has been booted in the wrong form.
    What I mean by that is if you make the USB with GPT but then on the boot option normally F12 for one time boot you select the USB - not listed as UEFI, then the boot medium is MBR and the drive to which Linux is to be installed will not show

The contrary is also true.

So in what I hope is - an easy to understand procedure
    You make the USB with RUFUS
    Untitled.png
    IF the boot from the USB does NOT see the drive in the computer then either the boot medium is incorrect, OR the drive is not recognised by the Linux boot
    https://www.tecmint.com/install-ubuntu-alongside-with-windows-dual-boot/

This can occur if the drive in the computer is an M2 NVME drive or indeed the drive is standard SATA but the mode is wrong.
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...buntu-on-systems-using-pcie-m2-drives?lang=en

See that link and the main page from which it comes
    https://www.dell.com/support/articl...-or-10-as-a-dual-boot-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en

Good luck with it I am offline for a couple of weeks
    If you make no progress with my suggestions, perhaps someone else will guide you further

3. helllppppmeeeeeee

Ah man, thanks a lot Macboatuser. I changed my SATA to AHCI and that allowed the hard drive to show in the partition manager in Debian. Really appreciate your help.

4. Macboatmaster

Cheers
    I wish you the best of luck.
    Online for a few hours - until about 2200
    You may be OK but you may find that you will not get a boot to 10 without changing it back again
    It is very much try and test
    If the worse comes to the worse - you may have to reinstall 10 in AHCI - what was it set at ?

5. helllppppmeeeeeee

It was set to RAID for the Intel Rapid Storage Tech. My next issue is I seem to have messed up the install in terms of the network. Only the loopback is shown. During install it showed a no Ethernet etc screen and I chose no Ethernet card because my XPS doesn’t have an Ethernet port. Seemed straight forward but I’m guessing I chose wrong and now have to figure out the network drivers and interfaces.

6. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  7. helllppppmeeeeeee

They make an adapter for the USB-C port for Ethernet but no built-in Ethernet port. It booted from grub to Linux. Frankly I didn’t even think to look for an Ethernet port when I ordered it because I didn’t even know not having one was an option. But ya it booted fine otherwise. Just no WiFi option.

8. Macboatmaster

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  9. Macboatmaster

I am not sure if you marked it solved - BEFORE you discovered the network problem
    If it is all now in order I am pleased to have helped
    Good luck with it.

10. Macboatmaster

Try the suggestions in my post 8 to establish the make and model of the wireless card and then follow the procedure outlined in the link
    You have now marked it unsolved - but have not replied to my post 8
    As I said good luck with it
    I am now offline as mentioned on post 2

11. helllppppmeeeeeee

I did mark it solved before I knew about the networking issue. I'm working through the sites you sent me and I found another that may or may not help with this specific wireless card and Debian. We'll see. For now, thank you again I appreciate your help

12. Macboatmaster

You are welcome
    what is the make and model of the wireless - you can get that from 10 if you do not get a result in terminal on ubuntu

13. helllppppmeeeeeee

It's a Killer Wireless AX1650

14. Macboatmaster

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice