1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to erase my hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oldunion, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

My hard drive is strange, its had mandrake 10, win2k pro, windows advanced server, windows xp pro and home, and freebsd on it. My mission is to get windows xp on it, and leave it at that. I have a toshiba recovery cd that will not load at boot. the mandrake 10 cd will boot and install but thats no help to me. i have killdisk.exe on an A:\ disk. Right now im installing windows 2000 and im gonna try to run killdisk from there so that i can completely erase all traces of data on my harddrive and then do a clean install of windows xp. I dont know why just putting in the killsdisk.exe floppy doesnt work at boot, anyone know whats up?

I have changed some of the text in your post due to poor language skills.

2. Arky

Arky

Download the W98 bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com. Boot with theat disk in the A: drive. At the A:\ prompt type FORMAT C:. When the format completes, install the OS of your choice. (Don't forget to take take the W98 boot disk out of A: first.)

3. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

no no, i can boot operating systems, what im trying to do is ERASE my hard drive. using the format command is easily reversible via the unformat command or many other utilities. killdisk is made by [email protected] and it will do 35 erasing passes over my data so that it is gone for good. im about to sell my laptop... what i need to do is get into a dos prompt, strictly dos though not dos in windows. when i put the killdisk floppy in the drive and boot i get the nonsystem disk error message. what im trying to do is boot this disk while not in an os.

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

The W2K boot CD will remove the partitions and then build a partition and format.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you are going to install CP, set your bios to boot first from CD, restart with the XP CD in the drive and "press any key to boot to cd" when you see that prompt . . from there you can delete all partitions and recreate the ones you want, format and proceed with XP installation . . if you need a guide, this is a good one.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

6. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

yes yes, this is all good information. but before any of this happens, i need to erase it all with killdisk, not through formatting. i need to load the program which is on a floppy somehow

7. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Killdisk is going to be overkill, just do it with the install CD and remove all partitions and the n format

8. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you delete and recreate partitions, format and install XP, no one other than CIA is going to be able to access data on that drive . . now . . if CIA is a concern . . take it out in the garage and drive a 2penney nail thru it . .

wrs

9. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

LMAO :) (y)

10. oldunion

oldunion Thread Starter

ha ha ha, but the cia is always a concern. im short on hammers and nails. ill have to find myself an install of win 95/98 and get into dos that a way, then kill disk it and im done.

11. Mentone-Girl

Mentone-Girl

I am in desparate need of help, when I try booting from the w2ksp4 cd I get the error message that it is an invalid system desk - what am I doing wrong? I have done the exact thing that Arky describes in #2 above. Thanks!

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

13. Cosmic

Cosmic

When exactly did you first notice this behavior????? :p

Wait until you really get to know XP. That ain't no Church going Lady either. :D

The CIA is after me too but that KILLDISK has never failed me. :eek:

Edited quote :rolleyes: cybertech

14. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

15. Mentone-Girl

Mentone-Girl

Brain fade! Will I run the both of the delparts mentioned? Thanks! :eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice