Trying to extend a 5ghz wireless signal

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ChrisRobin

Hi, just registered....

Here's my issue and I hope there's a solution. I just recently upgraded my internet and modem/wireless router to one that broadcasts 2.4ghz and 5ghz. All my devices connected to the 5ghz signal no problem, except the PS4. It's only compatible with 2.4ghz.

So I picked up a D-link DAP-1620 dual band extender with ethernet port. The idea was to get the extender to connect to the 5ghz signal, then hardwire the PS4 into it, tricking it into thinking it was in a LAN.

The problem is the automatic connect feature on the extender looks like it makes it connect to the 2.4ghz by default. I tried to manually set it up to the 5ghz signal but it won't detect it. What's strange is it sees other peoples' 5ghz networks. I also tried disabling the 2.4ghz signal from my router's setting, hoping the extender would have no choice but to extend the 5ghz signal... Nope. Didn't work.

Anyone run across something like this before? I wonder what else I have to do in my router's settings to let the 5ghz signal to be seen by the extender. Thanks.

I've encountered this issue before - in my particular circumstance with the DAP-1620 I found that the 5 GHz channels presented an issue once the channel for the band was above 48. Check your router and verify the 5 GHz channel.

Also, this trick works because you're emulating a Media Bridge with the PS4. Please know that when you try and utilize a 5GHz network on a PS4, the Network card only technically supports 2.4 GHz and your performance may differ from your expectations.

ChrisRobin

Thanks for replying! Ok. So channel band. Is there another term for it that I may find in my router settings? I'm seeing 'Channel Width', 'Channel'. I'll do some more research to see what these specific things in my router do and see if they're what you're referring to as Channel Band.

Edit. I think I may have found what you're referring to. I have the option to change Channel Width with the choices of 20, 40 and 80. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about.

Last edited:

TerryNet

Terry
My guess is that Fawxx meant the channel for the 5 GHz being above 48.

ChrisRobin

Sounds good... I'll hook up the DAP-1620 again and lower the channel below 48 and see if it picks it up.
Yup, that worked. Not sure what reducing that channel band does, but now the adapter sees the 5ghz network and connects to it. My speeds didn't appear to speed up though which leads me to agree that the LAN adapter in the PS4 is also 2.4ghz. Which is weird because it's not advertised anywhere. There's a lot of info out there saying the WLAN adapter is 2.4, but not the wired one. What's also weird is people reporting they've had good luck doing this little trick with good results.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online