1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

trying to extend wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Delfy60, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Delfy60

Delfy60 Thread Starter

hello, I have an arris broadband modem combo and the wifi signal in the basement is poor I tryed to connect a netgear n 300 wireless router (wnr2000v3) to extend the wifi with an ethernet cable but the neatgear router does not have an internet connection. what can i do or what am I doing wrong?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you trying to connect to the Netgear's WAN or a LAN port? If the former, be aware that usually the two routers have to be using different LAN IP subnets.

3. Delfy60

Delfy60 Thread Starter

im trying to get an internet connection to the netgear router via LAN connection from the Broadband modem to the WAN connection of the netgear router, unless this is wrong. I need help, so please someone help me. i have read different things so I have decided to ask and get the correct process on how to get a WIFI signal in the basement using what i have.

I have a ethernet cable over 100' in length a broadband combo modem (is a modem and a WIFI router) and a Netgear WIFI router.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

If the modem is a modem/router combo, you need to switch off the DHCP addressing in the Netgear router's settings.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    See post # 2. How about confirming that they are using different LAN subnets before we do more trouble shooting.

6. Delfy60

Delfy60 Thread Starter

ok so i connect the the modem combo via LAN to the Netgear WIFI LAN port

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086425

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice