1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to Figure Out How To Charge a Batter With a DC Motor

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by mcg4058, May 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

I'm working on a project with turning an electric motor into a generator to charge a car battery but I can't figure out the the amount of amperage or wattage with a multimeter; I do know that it does exceed 20Ah. Is there a Way I can figure it out? I've also found that the amount of amperage per hour doesn't matter when charging a battery but I also know that the voltage does have to match, with that in mind am I still going to need to use a diode when connecting the generator to the battery? If not then disregard the question about how to find the amperage.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

Would that idea work for a car batter with the motor turning at 3500rpm being driven by another motor

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

5. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

What im doing is i have a dc motor being driven by another motor and im trying to connect the generating motor to a 12v 8.5Ah batter. Would the USB act as a diode to keep it a one way current?

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

AFAIK, neither male or female USB connector contain diodes.

7. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

But can the USB make it a one way current? Im new to electrical work.

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

You would need a diode, ("a semiconductor device with two terminals, typically allowing the flow of current in one direction only.")

9. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

Where can i buy one of those? Also does the Ah matter when going through that type of diode? Ive heard they can start to burn up with to much Ah.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

11. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

Is there any types that you would suggest that are 12v with a high amperage rating? Because ive looked around a bit but i cant find any

12. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

13. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

I was able to figure some of the stuff out but i have one more question. When using a diode is it alright to be under the rated amperage?

14. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I wouldn't.

15. mcg4058

mcg4058 Thread Starter

I have one last question. Is it alright to run a lower current on a diode that is rated for something higher. I would think it would be alright but i wanna be 100% sure.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice