1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to finally upgrade from windows 98 to windows 2000

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mihmz326, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mihmz326

mihmz326 Thread Starter

Ok I love to use windows 98 2nd edition but now needing to upgrade as the world has moved on the problem is
    Compatibility of my hardware: now I have the drivers on cd and on my pc I made a backup copy when I get to the part that says supply the files it doesnt acknowledge them from the copy on pc and if I try to put in cd to provide them it goes to bluescreen saying error reading cd
    now how Am I to supply the file when either way it will not let me? and how can I preinstall it when I need win 98 file to run my pc?

here is list the the compatibilty check stated:

BDA IpSink [not currently present]
    BDAMPEFilter[not currently present]
    BDA SlipDeframer [not currently present]
    IntellUSB 2.0Enhanced host controller 24d3
    Intel [R]82801 EB SMbus controller24d3
    Internet Connection Sharing
    NABTS/FECVBI Codec[not currently present]
    Nvidia GeForce 5700LE
    USB 2.0 Root Hub Device
    World Standard Teletext Codec [not currently present]

2. I tried booting from cd it states that the following file is missing or corrupt<windows2000root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe please reinstall a copy of the above file

3. Then I tried making the 4 floppies for a floppy boot it stated setup. txt is missing when it tried booting

4.Now problems 2 and 3 could that be
    from the fact that
    I am trying to install from a Backup copy
    [not original cd of windows 2000] Im asking is
    windows 2000 copy protected?
    I Would Appreciate Any Help
    TY
    James Mihm

2. Deodar

Deodar

Sorry very much but I don't understand;what CD are you using & exactly which files
    are you missing?Drivers for 2000 & 98se are different if you mean modem drivers?The
    file system is different from memory-2000 using NTFS(New Technology File System)-98
    built upon DOS.Thats the compatability issue-everything for the drivers is on the net,
    Drivers .com is a place to start-all other files also available here and there.Look at
    www.windowsreinstall.com for the info&links.

3. clarkinc

clarkinc

He is absolutely correct with the filing system. Do you have an ugrade version? If not, try deleting the partition(s) that you made and reformatting the drive and when asked about the filing sytem select fat32 and you should be able to use your back-up disks. Keep in mind though if you are using an upgrade and plan to upgrade to XP anytime soon, you are looking for trouble because XP does not see 98 as being family (step mom maybe)!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice