1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to find a good Backup Utility

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by AhrenBa, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,
    I just bought an external hard drive and am looking for a good backup program that will help me back up my files. Can you guys suggest some good ones? Thank you.

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

3. DCM1519

DCM1519

If you just want to backup data files, Cobian Backup is free and does an excellent job.

It will back up anything you want (files and/or folders), whenever you want (scheduled or manually) to any destination (even multiple destinations). I backup my data manually to one internal hard drive and four external hard drives.

An added benefit is that the backup files are in ZIP format. You don't need propietary software to restore your data.

4. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Thank you both for your help! Acronis and Cobian both look great! I appreciate your time.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I use a DOS batch file that copies only those data files that have changed, the backup takes about 20 seconds per day.

Cost is $0.
    Speed is fast
    Files are fully available in their original format from within Windows.

6. DCM1519

DCM1519

Acronis and Cobian do different things. Acronis is similar to Norton Ghost in that it creates and image of your hard drive.

Cobian just backs up folders and files but will not restore your operating system.

Acronis offers a free trial. If you decide to get it, run the trial for the full term and read all the postings on their forum. Many have problems with it. I did too and finally took it off my computer.

Now using Ghost but will go back to Acronis when they get it running right.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Acronis was updated to build 3677 ... three days ago.
    Never had a problem using it with an external HD anyway.
    If your going to backup your data ... why not the entire HD ?
    Sure beats having to do a fresh install of windows ... starting at the beginning.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I use both types of backup. While Acronis TI is excellent for backing up your bootable drives, it's not as handy for data backups. Do you really want to image a 20gig data partition because three files changed?

I use Cobian Backup for some backup chores, and then I use Beyond Compare to synchronize large directories.

9. John Burns

John Burns

Thanks for info - just ran update.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

Acronis True Image & Norton Ghost 2003 will create a "backup". They will also clone your HDD. I like the cloning feature, which I perform weekly. Daily, I backup the data files that have changed during the day.

The latest version of NG cannot create a clone outside of Windows.

ATI & NG2003 will create a clone to an external HDD. With a clone, when a HDD fails or a file is corrupt, all I have to do is shut down the PC, remove the drive in use, install the clone drive & I am up & running within 5 minutes.

RF123

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It's also handy to have a second Bootable internal HD.
    One with a fresh - but fully updated and loaded OS ... so each Clone, when needed, is a fresh uncluttered install.
    Then I use Acronis to backup both my OS Versions to an external HD.
    It also helps to have the HD partitoned - one for the OS only - the second for Data only.
    I can re-write my OS in about 10 minutes .. including a few reboots .. and my Data Partition stays unaffected.
    It's my experiance that the OS is the most fragil ... and in need of a rewrite.
    Anything can backup Data.

There's a problem with Cloning outside the box ... If the box uses SATA drives.

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

I apologize for confusion my last post may have created.

I use a "kingwin" brand internal tray & rack system for my source & destination drives. They are IDE. I have also used SATA drives, on a different system, using Acronis TI.

I have created backup systems for other users using external IDE HDDs [USB 2.0 connections ].

RF123

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/480206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice