1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to find software that will straighten "crooked" scan images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by AhrenBa, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Hello,

I am scanning the pages of an out-of-print book for a neighbor and find it very time consuming. :( A problem that I keep running into is that even though the page is aligned with the scanner, it sometimes comes out crooked on the screen.

Is there software that can automatically straighten the image for me? Is there an easy way to do this? Thank you! :)

2. Danyo

Danyo

Check the post at the top of this forum. Most of the programs will give you the option of straightening or turning the pictures.

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

You might look around your scanner program, or at least another scanning program. Many have an automatic straightening function when you tell it you are scanning in text.

4. hewee

hewee

If your Image program lets you put grin line on the image that can help you out in turning the image.

5. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the responses.

@Danyo
    I couldn't find where you were talking about. Could you provide me a link to the page of the specific forum post. Thank you.

@ChuckE
    I am using Epson's scanning software that came with the Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner. Do you know if this has straightening abilities? Thanks.

@hewee
    I am using Photoshop to edit the scans. Does this have this feature you are talking about? If so, where can I find it? Thanks.

6. ferrija1

ferrija1

http://forums.techguy.org/digital-photography-imaging/496808-look-here-first-free-photo.html

You can Select the whole image (Ctrl+A) and use Free Transform (Ctrl+T) to rotate the image until it is straight.

7. hewee

hewee

I don't have PS on this PC but I bet it does have a grid or grid lines.
    Look at your PS help files and look for or search for grid and you should get info on it if it is there.

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

No idea if Epson's scanning software can do auto straightening out. I did a quick look at the Epson manual, or one of them, and it mentions that scanning text will automatically convert scanned text into editable text (an OCR, Optical Character Recognition function).

If that works for you, a slight skew to the text is not going to affect the recognition of the characters. PLUS! the benefits of getting scanned text into an editable form (no longer images) will be a lot more space conservative (smaller file sizes), faster to open, and you will probably be able to put multiple pages (like whole chapters - even the whole book) into one file.

9. hewee

hewee

I can not do that in PhotoImpact ferrija1.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    YES .. which version ??

Go to the measure tool .. and "measure" a straight line either vertical or horizontal.
    Go to Rotate > choose arbitrary > the angle to rotate is already loaded from the measure tool.
    Just Do it.

11. ferrija1

ferrija1

I meant for AhrenBa to do that in his/her copy of Photoshop but you should be able to do that somehow, is there a rotate function in PhotoImpact?

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Rotating a Transform is not an exact way of doing this in Photoshop.
    And it's a whole lot more complicated than "measuring" it.

13. hewee

hewee

Ok but I had to still try it to see if I could do it because it may of worked.
    Then again there may be a more easy way in PhotoImpact and I bet there is.

14. AhrenBa

AhrenBa Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. Where is the measure tool. (sorry, I am new with photoshop) Thanks!

15. ChuckE

ChuckE

I think he was asking for an auto function for the straightening out a scanned image.
    Heck, even IrfanView can do a "Fine rotation" (0.1 to 359.9 degrees) of an image.

But that isn't what he wanted.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/545157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice