1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to fix a friend's computer UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by codyryan1984, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. codyryan1984

codyryan1984 Thread Starter

Hi I wondered if anyone could help, my friend has asked me to fix her computer as normally I can do it, but I am completely stumped with this one:

When I switch it on I get the blue screen regardless of whether I choose a normal startup, command prompt or safemode.

The technical information is
    ***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x863E1C08, 0xC000009C, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have Hirens bootcd loaded to a USB, but to be honest I don't know how to use it.

Any help would be much appreciated and if I can save the computer without losing any documents that would be great!

Thanks

2. codyryan1984

codyryan1984 Thread Starter

3. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01

It sounds like it`s probably the hard drive that`s not being `seen` properly.

Inside the case, make sure the drive spins up, the drive jumpers are set correctly and the power cable & data ribbon are in good condition and firmly connected to the extent of taking them off and reconnecting them again.

Also make sure BIOS can see the drive as it should do and it`s often a wise move to put the setting to Auto if you`re not happy with entering values yourself. While you`re there, ensure that it`s set to boot from HDD.

If there happens to be two HDD`s, remove one and try and then swap them over as you`re probably not sure which one holds the system although it should be the master device on the primary channel ... but it might not have been set up as that. Remember to go back into BIOS after each removal so that it can read it correctly.

Jenny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1064644