1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to flash bios to correct keyboard issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DrWurm, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

So, my computer has been screwed up for quite some time now, and I thought I might remedy the situation by doing a repair install of windows XP. I managed to get my hands on a slipstreamed SP3 CD today, and let windows do its thing. However, when the time came to enter in my XP key, I could not use my keyboard, which is the same problem i had before i repaired windows.

Back when I first had this problem, I read online that I might need to flash the bios to correct it. The fact that I still have the problem after repairing windows seems to point to this as well. I've been trying to flash the bios (A8V deluxe mobo) with afudos, and i get the message: "ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID" I've used both the newest and oldest ROMs available from asus to no avail. I can't use the asus auto updater, because my windows install still needs the XP key to finish. My computer is basically stuck until I can resolve this keyboard issue.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it a USB keyboard? If so, you might need to use a PS2 keyboard, access bios setup, and be sure that USB legacy support is enabled.

Do not flash the bios simply to flash the bios. A bios fix MUST address your issue, otherwise you run the risk of ruining your bios chip.

3. ~Candy~

You have two other threads where you've never even bothered to reply back :rolleyes: seems to be the same subject.

Am I wasting my time too?

4. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

I ended up going on vacation after those threads, then knowing I'd get my hands on an XP cd, figured my problems would be solved this week. I made this thread because I think I've narrowed down to the definite problem.

And no, I use PS/2 but i've tried both, and neither works.

5. ~Candy~

Ok, as you can see, I asked you the same keyboard question that your other thread(s) mentioned...thus, a good idea to continue in the same thread ;)

Are you able to access the bios setup AT ALL? Before the Windows installation begins?

6. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

Yes, I can play around in the BIOS setup to my heart's content

7. ~Candy~

Ok, then look around for legacy keyboard settings, and be sure it's set to ENABLED.

8. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

I don't have that setting or anything similar in my BIOS setup. Think I'm gonna call it a night since I have multivariable calculus in the morning. Thanks for your help.

9. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

I'm running UBCD right now. I'm pretty sure i went through every nook and cranny of my bios setup, found no legacy keyboard settings.

10. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

11. ~Candy~

Anything for keyboard? Sorry for the delay in replying, I was out of town.

12. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

Nope, did find a couple settings, altered them, but still no change. Nothing like what you specifically asked for though.

13. ~Candy~

Anyway of posting screen shots from the bios? You'll probably have to take real pictures.

14. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

Yeah, I suppose I could do that, gimme a little while.

15. DrWurm

DrWurm Thread Starter

Alright, first the different menus, then the options i felt were somewhat related.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On a side note, I think I know now why I couldn't flash the BIOS. It appears to be a different type than the standard A8V board.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice