1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Trying to format an old work computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barricades, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. barricades

barricades Thread Starter

Hey there,

My dad has given me his old laptop that his company gave him - a latitude e6400. Because it was his works computer its got the bios password thing activated and then another password to get into windows, this is all a bit of a pain so I wanted to format the thing.

So I stuck in my windows disk and turned it on. I still have to put the bios password in but then it starts to load the windows disk, it starts to load all the files it needs and looks to be working fine but just at the bit where its about to show me the screen to format & install I get a blue screen error:

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage etc..."

I thought maybe my windows disk was broken but it works fine on my old laptop. So I thought perhaps there was something in the version of windows which was already installed that prevented people formatting the drive so I got a brand new harddrive and slotted it in.

But low and behold, blue screen again.

Could there be something more deeply embedded in this machine which prevents anyone doing anything to it? Its the only thing I can think of and I can imagine the company my da works for doing something like that.

anyone any ideas?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

3. barricades

Hey there, thanks for thes suggestion. I've run the test(s) and it now says *****pass complete, no errors, press esc to exit*****

I assume thats a good thing but I was half hoping something would be wrong so I could fix it.

What was that all about anyway and what now?

thanks for helping me out. I really appreciate it!

4. DaveBurnett

Well it doesn't like something and you said you changed the disk, so the next test was the memory.
    What are the error code numbers??

5. barricades

The error I get (this is when I'm getting the blue screen) is:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

6. DaveBurnett

The hard drive is a SATA drive and XP needs the SATA drivers, or if it is supported in the BIOS, change the SATA to emulate ATA from AHCI

7. barricades

I went into the BIOS and in systemConfiguration->SATA Operation I 1st changed it to ATA (it was at IRRT) and saved and then tried again to get windows setup to boot but it wouldn't even get as far as it did before, all I get is a blank black screen and the cd doesn't sound like it's doing much.

I went back into BIOS and changed SATA Operation to AHCI and it had the same effect. IE black screen.

I know you said to "emulate ATA from AHCI" which didn't seem to be an option. I'm not even sure what ATA and AHCI mean (but I'm off to google them now).

Is there another way to get the drivers?

8. squall_01

squall_01

Did you attempt to repair it useing the XP CD?

9. barricades

I can't get as far as repairing it. When I boot with the xp disk it loads all the files it needs and looks like its about to enter setup but then blue screens...

10. DaveBurnett

11. squall_01

squall_01

Kind of hard since you dont have a floppy drive an this being a laptop. See if you cant get Seatools its for Western Digital Drives but it should allow you to reformat this one if you dont have anything you want on it.

12. barricades

@Dave thanks for your help and suggestion - I've since read a bit more around the subject and I know I can install windows xp on a sata drive now by integrating the required drivers into the windows setup disk by using nlite & following the instructions here:http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, now I just have to figure out which exact drivers I need because everything I've dl'd off the intel website doesn't seem right to me, but it's dinner time now.

@ squall - thanks for the input. I have a Western Digital Drive and there's nothing on it at all (brand new) so I shall have a go with seatools. Will formatting it with seatools mean that drivers to make windows work on SATA will be installed? I'm at the limit of my competance here so I may have confused myself...

cheers

13. DaveBurnett

The SATA drivers belong/come with the Motherboard not the disk. So you need to get the drivers from Dell who make it easy for you.
    There will be a 6 character service tag on the bottom of the machine and if you put that in on the Dell support site it will list all the drivers for your machine. Try http://support.euro.dell.com/support/ . You will have to register, but it costs nowt and they don't pester you.

14. squall_01

squall_01

He shouldnt have too. If he has them, not a problem. If he has to get them they should be on the driver page for that machine after he enter's his service tag. Personally, I was gusseing since I didnt have any of my tools an such with me at the time

15. barricades

Hey there, got it sorted. Thanks for all the help. After a bit of trial and error (and reading a few more helpful websites) I got the drivers integrated onto a disk with a copy of my verison of windows.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919557

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice